1984 Datsun Maxima Wagooooooon! HRH's new summer daily. (Wynona)

HRH

So if you've been following the Frontier dohc thread in Gen Tech, you've already seen the pics.  If not, I picked up a low miles '84 Maxima wagon in quite good condition this week.  

wagondaylight1_zps838ab82f.jpg

This is the new wagoon!

maximaturbines1_zpsed8966cb.jpg

These are the other snow wheels I had for the 510.  Going to have to acid them up today and get them all shiny like the ones on the truck.  I may change to the 6 spoke Z wheels, but we'll see.  If I like how the turbines look, I may leave them on.

Off to the garage to get started on this cold, wet, rainy day!  Supposed to be 14 degrees on Monday night, have to check all the fluids in both Maxima.

• Like 5
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After an hour or two of scrubbing and aciding and washing and aciding, I got the wheels halfway decent.  Figured I can clean them up the rest of the way in the summer if I need to.  Amazing what a set of wheels does to the car's image.  Goes from total blah, to total awesome!!! :D  Those tires are a little small, but they are good studless snows.  Since I'm not going to drive this in the winter they'll work until we get around to next summer and I figure out which wheels and tires I'll be running.

maximawagonnewwheels_zpsf5209420.jpg

• Like 4

And here's why mhub, you shouldn't pay more for a "pristine" older Datsun. ;)  Not saying it isn't still awesome, but you would think people would change things with 104k on the clock, especially considering it's a 30 year old vehicle.  Take a look at these:

maxmaint1_zps9a0fafe5.jpg

I drove it home, had no issues.  Going about routine maintenance today, I already mentioned the FRAM oil filter.  Good news is the oil level was full and not particularly dirty.  However, notice the heater hoses next to the oil filter?  See anything wrong there?

maxmaint2_zps28bd54a5.jpg

Next I checked the water level.  Non-existent.  It was about 1-2 quarts low.

maxmaint3_zps77fe342a.jpg

maxmaint5_zps39a337f3.jpg

See anything wrong with this picture?  I can't believe nothing broke on the drive home.

maxmaint6_zps5a5173a7.jpg

How about some factory spark plug wires from Sumitomo?  Vacuum lines are the same way, all original.  DEFINITELY going to be changing all the rubber.

maxmaint4_zpsec033b32.jpg

Almost forgot this one.  Like how the main battery terminal is attached to the bolt, not to the center of the battery post?  It's not that bad, but still.  Butt connectors for all the power leads.  We'll clean those up and solder them.

• Like 1

Yeah, had a nice coating of grease.  Like bearing grease all over the connectors.  I'm assuming to keep corrosion off, but seriously, wtf?  I fixed the idle.  It was idling at 2000 rpm.  Someone had set the distributor to about 20 or 30 degrees advanced for some reason.  They probably didn't know about disconnecting the idle control switch off the ignition module that crops up on those years.  Anyway, adjusted the air bleed way down and re-timed it.  Works a lot better now.  Couldn't seem to find any vacuum leaks, suprisingly.

Heater hoses scare me just because one is looking like it's starting to bulge and they only last so long anyways.

Same with that factory belt, don't want to figure how badly that'll Fuck up the car when it goes.

Give it a tuneup, change some rubber, drive the piss out of it

Nice car though

• Like 2

Heater hoses scare me just because one is looking like it's starting to bulge and they only last so long anyways.

Same with that factory belt, don't want to figure how badly that'll Fuck up the car when it goes.

Give it a tuneup, change some rubber, drive the piss out of it

Nice car though

Oh come on where is your sense of adventure!?

• Like 3

Im still not seeing what was wrong? beside the low radiator fluid. and maybe the Fram oil filter

they all bludge near the connector far as I know.

I try to do prevantive maint but as for hoses mine are all changed mutiple times overand also the belts fuel pumps satrters volt regs ect..................................

To me it looks untouched by a 510 owner thats why the stock grease on the battery cable so you know everything is most likely GOOD and not hacked up by some kid.

THOSE HOSES AND BELT IS FINE!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Okay, waaay too much work done today.  I'll have pictures up after I make and eat dinner.  If I feel up to it.  Short of it, replaced both battery terminals while cussing the moron who covered them in chassis grease, what a fucking mess.  Made a battery hold down so the positive doesn't ground out against the power steering box.  Luck is all that was and about a 1/16" clearance.  Replaced the Autolite plugs with the proper NGK.  Replaced the wires, Belden as usual is incorrect in the coil wire size so I borrowed one off an older set of NGK I had when I was swapping parts on the D21.  Probably only has 10,000 miles on it.  Left the cap and rotor because I didn't have a cap in town go figure.  I probably bought the last one for the other Maxima.  Replaced all the heater hoses and radiator hoses, with the exception of the two tiny ones on the intake manifold.  Not enough time.  They look good and don't move ever so I can probably get away with those for a bit longer.  Didn't replace the belts either, but I put them in the car in case Regy has to replace them on his drive to the farm tomorrow.  Crossing my fingers.

Replaced the thermostat and gasket while I was in there too.  Then swapped good tires off autocross Maxima and stored in basement.  Then put snow tires on red truck and stored good tires in basement.  F a duck, I've been busy today.  Whew.

• Like 2

Well, the Maxima is down at the farm for paint and body.  Unfortunately, with the cold temps, Regy can't get the shop warm enough to start work.  Booo!  So going to have to wait until the weather breaks a little and it warms up past 20 degrees.

Congrats on the new Maxima man. these cars are addicting aren't they?

Okay, waaay too much work done today.  I'll have pictures up after I make and eat dinner.  If I feel up to it.  Short of it, replaced both battery terminals while cussing the moron who covered them in chassis grease, what a fucking mess.  Made a battery hold down so the positive doesn't ground out against the power steering box.  Luck is all that was and about a 1/16" clearance.  Replaced the Autolite plugs with the proper NGK.  Replaced the wires, Belden as usual is incorrect in the coil wire size so I borrowed one off an older set of NGK I had when I was swapping parts on the D21.  Probably only has 10,000 miles on it.  Left the cap and rotor because I didn't have a cap in town go figure.  I probably bought the last one for the other Maxima.  Replaced all the heater hoses and radiator hoses, with the exception of the two tiny ones on the intake manifold.  Not enough time.  They look good and don't move ever so I can probably get away with those for a bit longer.  Didn't replace the belts either, but I put them in the car in case Regy has to replace them on his drive to the farm tomorrow.  Crossing my fingers.

Replaced the thermostat and gasket while I was in there too.  Then swapped good tires off autocross Maxima and stored in basement.  Then put snow tires on red truck and stored good tires in basement.  F a duck, I've been busy today.  Whew.

Great stuff. Change those small lines on the intake or remove them ASAP, thse are the worst ones.

I replaced everything else and then what do you know!!Tthe first time I drive the Maxima after all the work, those little bastards blow up and I had to call my wife to stop at the autozone, grab plugs and block it off real fast.

• Like 1

Ah, they're alright. I'm going to have to fix the radiator too, but being 20 degrees right now, I'm not too worried about that.  Once I get it back from Regy I'll go about doing the rest of the routine maintenance I still need to do.  Like re-sealing the intake/exhaust gasket.  It's not blown out, which means it's just waiting for summer.  Plus it doesn't look like any studs are broken so I'll probably yank the manifolds and replace all the studs before they have a chance to break as well.

Lots of work to be done, but I have all winter.  Going to try and clean out my garage today so I can store the parts I'm yanking off the other Maxima in case I need spares for the wagon.  It's a shame the interiors aren't the same color.

And thanks!  I'm pretty stoked.  Was going to sell the white truck today but the kid's check didn't come in.  Hopefully it will arrive in the mail tomorrow and he'll make a late trip down here. That will give me the rest of the cash I need to pay off what I borrowed for the new acquisition.  

So I took a trip to Lewiston this weekend to get a fender for the wagon.  Quite fun, here are some oics!

lewiston1_zps26c172f2.jpg

Palouse Highway

lewiston2_zps3e2ad362.jpg

A wild haystack in it's natural habitat.  Or maybe that's a straw stack.  Not sure.

lewiston3_zps93a47a95.jpg

Molly was very happy about getting to go.

lewiston4_zps3a740fff.jpg

Clearwater River.

lewiston6_zps15e59957.jpg

lewiston7_zpsb139639f.jpg

lewiston5_zps68cefcd5.jpg

lewiston8_zps2a42fb29.jpg

New (used) fender!

I also stopped by and saw Mohammed after I picked up the fender.  He transferred to Lewis and Clark State College in Idaho from Eastern, so we bullshitted about L20 motors and turbos and you know, blah blah blah, Datsuns for a while! ;)  Sadly I forgot to take a picture.

• Like 2

So I'm half tempted to put the new wheels on the wagon.  I still need 8" wide wheels for the 225 race tires, but the 5 spokes would look sexy on the wagon.  Not quite sure yet.  Going to bring a few to Regy's on Monday and test fit them.  They would need some rolling, but possibly only on the front as the rear may be a less wide track due to the solid axle.  Don't know, we'll see.  I may still do something else.

• Like 1