IS THERE A CURE ?

denmarkboy

Where do you guys hide all of these 521s? I want to be addicted! Prefereably to something other than girl scout cookies...

Nice find. It's in better shape than the 620 I used to have :crying:

Why do you think i am looking for a cure ?! in this area you have to turn i blind eye, or cut up the bank card , or something . Cause they are everywhere and as hard as i try i cant look the other way every time . 

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the battery hold down taken care of , i was told by the p.o. that the king pins were shot , but actually they look pretty dam good to me , however the tires on the front are so bad it shakes side to side ( like a death wobble on a jeep with the wrong track bar). And the right front has a chatter when you step on the brake. The brakes were just done and work great except for the the chatter. my guess is they put the shoes on backwards, or something easy. 

and look at the carpet, looks made to fit to me, and i haven't looked at the dash yet either

IMAG3678_zpsqn09fzsz.jpgIMAG3679_zpsh5fmrf9s.jpgIMAG3680_zpsxkbniern.jpgIMAG3681_zpsjlrvrzvk.jpgIMAG3682_zpsurxyg4zy.jpgIMAG3683_zps7jvyulu3.jpgIMAG3684_zps8kplotfe.jpgIMAG3685_zpsbwlm8iwb.jpgIMAG3686_zpssxv3jzea.jpg

• Like 1

I heard the 521s were shipped here without the box, it was done here to avoid the tariffs/fees.

May be the 'Chicken Tax' you're refering to, Wayno.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

I've read that the 1st generation Ford Transit Connects (built in Turkey) were all sent in with back seats to classify them as passenger cars to avoid the 'Chicken Tax'.

Once 'in country' the back seats were shredded  and 'viola' they were delivery vans.

pulled the brakes apart the are on right and new front and rear, but the up bushings on the kings are shot .

IMAG3690_zps2hmmrhuy.jpg

Check the other side has the shoes in the exact same positions in the above picture. I may be wrong (wayno would now better) but I think there are leading and trailing shoes and you may have two leading on one side and two trailing on the other.

IMAG3695_BURST001_zpsmnk0qh6r.jpg

The W53 head is a JDM head not used on N American L16s so this was probably imported on a low mileage JDM engine because it was cheaper in the '80s to do this than rebuild them. Now it's not known to me if this has a small combustion chamber like the stock 210 head or not. If the usual open chamber, the L16's compression drops to 6.72, if closed chamber it drops only to 8.2. If it was made for use on a JDM L16 then you should be ok.

Almost all W53 heads are closed, I would have said all until I purchased that open chamber W53 head a couple years ago.

I don't have front drum brakes on anything I own except that 63 L320 that I have never drove anywhere except home, and the MGTD which I don't drive either, as the one time I did drive it I almost went in the ditch, I always wondered why them guys always drove 45 to 50mph in them things on the hiway, after that day I knew why, there freaking scary, so I would not know about front drum brakes Dmike.

Check the other side has the shoes in the exact same positions in the above picture. I may be wrong (wayno would now better) but I think there are leading and trailing shoes and you may have two leading on one side and two trailing on the other.

The W53 head is a JDM head not used on N American L16s so this was probably imported on a low mileage JDM engine because it was cheaper in the '80s to do this than rebuild them. Now it's not known to me if this has a small combustion chamber like the stock 210 head or not. If the usual open chamber, the L16's compression drops to 6.72, if closed chamber it drops only to 8.2. If it was made for use on a JDM L16 then you should be ok.

i think your right on the money actually , i have another brand new set and they are paired up with a rubber band. they are clearly paired up the wrong way , even after adjustment they still acted a little weird and pulsated . 

on the engine it doesnt match up to the engine tag number, so probably swapped out , it runs crazy good , not a puff of smoke , has a couple leaks but nothing major .

IMAG3704_zpsdvo0u0mn.jpgIMAG3705_zpsebzqqvic.jpg

The stock 210 heads were about 38cc combustion chamber volume. A closed chamber head is 41cc and an open chamber head for a L20B is 45.2cc. It would be best if the W53 were closed chamber at least. BTW there were some closed chamber 210 heads

• Like 1

The kingpins can be rebuilt.

The upper bushings are still available through the parts stores.....last time I checked.  I've made delrin bushings before....and will again, but I doubt I have any right now.  I want to try nylon next time....the delrin starts to squeak over time.

• Like 2

The kingpins can be rebuilt.

The upper bushings are still available through the parts stores.....last time I checked.  I've made delrin bushings before....and will again, but I doubt I have any right now.  I want to try nylon next time....the delrin starts to squeak over time.

yeah i would like get some nylon ones , maybe not for this truck but for stock on the shelf would be nice , i am surrounded by  kingpins right now , and they all need some love . and i hate squeaks !

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

the difference is you admit it and i am trying not to.

but a fun fact there is the li'l lady came home today and said " where am i suppose to park? on the street ? "  i tried no to say it and then it just came out , well yeah !

10659405_870714222968227_4180998705_zps0

• Like 2

yeah i would like get some nylon ones , maybe not for this truck but for stock on the shelf would be nice , i am surrounded by  kingpins right now , and they all need some love . and i hate squeaks !

The delrin ones get polished with use and start squeaking.  That's why I want to try the nylon.....it's self lubricating......it's just nasty to machine.

• Like 2