U joint axles to CV axle conversion questions

I have a U joint axles that bolt on, I am trying to narrow my rear end to 46 inches, I haven't seen any articles that discuss the bolt on type axles, I was wanting to convert them to the VW axles, would the adapter from wolf creek work on this setup. I was unable to load the photo on the page so I made it my profile photo. I believe the axles are off a 240z

Thanks Rick

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the pics help since you didn't give any info on what you're really doing.  The R180 had bolt in shafts, or snap in with a circlip, and there are varieties with the 4 bolt flange or a round 6 bolt flange.  I think all the 4 bolt flanges were bolt-in, but I could be wrong.  If the R180 you have is snap in and you want to use bolt-in flanges, then you have to open it up and swap in the threaded buttons to bolt to. 

Since you're hacking everything up, you might consider a BMW semi-trailing arm suspension, which would already have CV's, disc brakes, & probably more options for an LSD, since R180 LSDs are rare and $$$.  Then you wouldn't have to "adapt" the axle shafts, just shorten or have custom made, which you essentially have to do with the 510 CV swap anyways...

I was told it's a 510   and I think it's a 180

This speaks volumes. You don't know what car your talking about? Why are you doing this then? If it's running, run with it. Not enough info provided, need some back story.

What are you trying to accomplish? and why do you need to?

to make a long story short I need two drivetrain stub axles for a 180 Diff. then I can buy and use wolf creeks adapter setup.

I am building a rear wheel drive mini that will be running a Honda black bird motorcycle engine under the hood. I was about to go with a straight axle after being told that the axles in the picture couldn't be resized. Now that I know I can buy other style axle stubs I am thinking just to stick with the irs setup I started on.

I believe the Wolfcreek axle kit uses VW bus cv's, not bug. And they are very strong. If I kill my ZXT axles in my Z, I will be going that route. But I wont be buying them from Wolfcreek for $900.. Bus cv's are easily had in boneyards and on the Samba. Since they will have 300k of wear on one side, and almost none on the other, ( The balls wear grooves in the body in forward, but not at all in reverse) just turn them around. Old German ones are better than half the crap available new.

Sway away will make axles any length you want. Just cut the step off the bus axles and cut them down to figure out what length you need. Adapters are easy. Just take the stock flange and the cv to a machine shop and have some made up.