Project Doolittle, '68 2000

datsunfreak

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So has the L series decision become official?

Not yet.

Or is the KA still kicking in the idea box?

Yes, it is. 

Breaks down like this. I'm going to test fit the L-series first. If I can make it fit with minimal mods to the car, it'll go in.

If it needs major mods to fit, might as well go KA...    ^_^

One problem on both engines is the clearance needed for the oil pump. If I switched to a KA24DE, this problem would be solved, but a whole host of new problems crop up with that idea.

Believe it or not, I'm even kicking around the idea of an A15.   :lol:

With an A15, I could conceivably get the car down to around 1600 pounds. It wouldn't really be fast, but it would be fun. So...

• 2 weeks later...

You probably have the only drivers side fender in the world with no dents on it. Also, the rear wheel wells were rusted from the factory on these things. Growing up there must have been 10 different Roadsters come through my household. Every one had rusted rear wheel wells and dented drivers side fenders lol. Over all solid looking car, can't wait to see what you do with it.

You probably have the only drivers side fender in the world with no dents on it. 

Yeah, I was surprised how "nice" the fenders and doors were. 

the rear wheel wells were rusted from the factory on these things. Growing up there must have been 10 different Roadsters come through my household. Every one had rusted rear wheel wells

Funny, it doesn't seem to be super common here, but they may just all be hidden behind a layer of bondo like mine was...    :rofl:

Even in the New Mexico desert they seem to rust away like they got coated in salt water.

Learned something interesting about this from a friend who is a Roadster nerd...

Inside the quarter panel, between the inner and outer panel, up until late in 1967 they were not painted inside. Not even primed. It appears that starting in 1968 they were at least primed inside, and in the '69-70 cars they were partially painted inside. So any short windshield car rusts from the inside out around the wheel wells, as well as some of the high windshield cars. 

damn.. looks really nice! 

Mark is that rare breed of guy who is a really good paint and body man who works cheap.   ^_^

He's retired so he just does this on the side as a hobby. And doesn't think I'm weird for spending a lot of money on "old Japanese crap"...    :rofl:

• Like 1