What the heck happened to ebay?!

It wasn't all that long ago that searching for "datsun 510" on ebay would bring up less than 510 hits.

For the last few years of course you get thousands, but at least they are all mostly real datsun 510 parts (okay, so 1 in ten is for a hot wheel)

But last week some time, a dam broke and now there are over 42,000 listings for datsun 510!

most of them are spark plugs, dome light bulbs, alternator belts, air filters, etc...  Rockauto/NAPA type stuff, half of the listings aren't even specific to our cars.  Good luck finding an actual Datsun part any more.  You have to search page after page after page.

To make maters worse, a few weeks ago, some car dealership in Seattle added "datsun" to their tag line so now you search for Datsun on craigslist and get page after page of SUV's, trucks, new cars, etc. 

: (

My fun meter just tanked!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah everybody is throwing every key word they can think if to try to get more hits and hopefully more hits means more business when you just end up pissing people off.

I tend to search a little more specific when I'm on eBay, keeps me from straying from original intent of opening it up in hopes of not spending a fortune, even though I usually do anyways

It wasn't all that long ago that searching for "datsun 510" on ebay would bring up less than 510 hits.

For the last few years of course you get thousands, but at least they are all mostly real datsun 510 parts (okay, so 1 in ten is for a hot wheel)

But last week some time, a dam broke and now there are over 42,000 listings for datsun 510!

most of them are spark plugs, dome light bulbs, alternator belts, air filters, etc...  Rockauto/NAPA type stuff, half of the listings aren't even specific to our cars.  Good luck finding an actual Datsun part any more.  You have to search page after page after page.

To make maters worse, a few weeks ago, some car dealership in Seattle added "datsun" to their tag line so now you search for Datsun on craigslist and get page after page of SUV's, trucks, new cars, etc. 

I just did my regular search and only got 3,835 records in all categories. Try using "Datsun (510)" instead of "Datsun 510". When I search for "Datsun 510" I get the 42k+ records you're getting. My regular search is "Datsun (510,pl510)".

OK, just recently a guy has started saying that his part, "fits Datsun 320/520/521, or whatever else", I started looking at who was selling all the crap, there was more than one name, but when I did this below, all of it went away, this is what I did.

When I search "Datsun 320", I add "-123autoparts", so this is what it looks like in the search bar,

Datsun 320  -123autoparts

all of the crap went away, it didn't even matter who it was, all that was left was Datsun stuff for the most part.

• Like 1

There's a similar problemn going on with one of the magazines I subscribe to, Hemmings Motor News. So many auction houses advertise their cars for sale in the regular classifieds now, and the ads offer little to no information about the car (or truck) or the price (since it's an auction). Hemmings has actually asked it's readers if they should change the format and the readeres have replied with a resounding YES!

I know it seems futile, but if something pisses you off, then say something... to ebay. Send them a message.

I hate ebay anymore.  I used to sell on there back in the day but I was gone for a year with 10 transactions and 100%.  Guess what, feedback was based on previous year only.  Started over with 0 score because of that.  Fuck them.  I buy occasionally, even sold my 521 on ebay, but it's not even close to my go-to for parts anymore.

I hate key words in adds, if I want the shit you are selling I would search for that particular thing. If I search "datsun" on craigslist I dont want to see your pos neon or some shit hole dealerships entire inventory. Fucking ridiculous....

Keyword spamming causes an irrational amount of rage to build up inside of me...

most of them are spark plugs, dome light bulbs, alternator belts, air filters, etc... Rockauto/NAPA type stuff, half of the listings aren't even specific to our cars. Good luck finding an actual Datsun part any more. You have to search page after page after page.

Same shit last week on craigslist here. I'm pissed as well. I blame marketing companies who do this shit professionally for other sellers.

I flag ads with keywords that are excessive and are obviously generated with every possible vehicle listed.  Like when I search Datsun in it brings up Cadillac, and the owner hasn't suggested trading for a Cadillac.  Then I flag, without mercy.

• Like 1

OK, just recently a guy has started saying that his part, "fits Datsun 320/520/521, or whatever else", I started looking at who was selling all the crap, there was more than one name, but when I did this below, all of it went away, this is what I did.

When I search "Datsun 320", I add "-123autoparts", so this is what it looks like in the search bar,

Datsun 320  -123autoparts

all of the crap went away, it didn't even matter who it was, all that was left was Datsun stuff for the most part.

Thanks for this Wayno

Now I wont have to get a Borgward instead to get a way from this problem

What i hate most about Craigslist is when you search Datsun you get ads like this one.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/4734623211.html

Will trade for Datsun parts ,, yeah sure.. Like what,  an open chamber or any peanut head or L20b long block. 520/521 truck parts or even B210 stuff ?  Sure buddy ,, good luck with that. 

No roadster anything

What i hate most about Craigslist is when you search Datsun you get ads like this one.

Will trade for Datsun parts ,, yeah sure.. Like what, a peanut head or L20b long block. 520/521 truck parts or even B210 stuff ? Sure buddy ,, good luck with that.

No roadster anything

Knowning you Naner it would be for anything.

• Like 1

Will trade for Datsun parts ,, yeah sure.. Like what,  an open chamber or any peanut head or L20b long block. 520/521 truck parts or even B210 stuff ?  Sure buddy ,, good luck with that. 

No roadster anything

Yeah i sent him a e-mail voicing my displeasure in his total disregard of etiquette in trying to pawn those super cheap MR2 parts on Datsun lovers that use Craigslist and not on a site like HachiRoku.net..  As (i have heard)  he might have to give even better deals to the members on there.... who knows.

miserable bastard

Every other Datsun 510 listing on ebay is a fucking Hot Wheel! Don't get me wrong, i love Hot Wheels, but not when I am trying to buy real parts!! And if you are too stupid to buy turn signal bulbs at NAPA, then you deserve to pay way to much on ebay!