Carol Shelby CSS anyone run them?

So im having a issue with my brand new out of the box Carol Shelby CSS rims. I had one wheel fall off the other day on my way up to dan harts. Seems the washers are crushing in on the long shank lug nuts (they are the right size) for those that know dan hart he knows what hes doing, been doing it long enough and hes never seen this.  Seems the washer (will have pics) is crushing in when torqued way more than it should, so much its caving the edge of the lug nut hole to where the nuts are getting stuck in the hole. Then had to pop them out with a mallet from other side and use a sander to sand back down the edge.  From what i can tell is the newer lug nuts compared to when these wheels came out are smaller, and seems the washers are a cheaper ass quality. I got some craeger ones from the local wheel place, way harder metal, but problem is they are to big, so Dan is going to grind them down, and they are domed. We grinded one down but once it flattened out it got stuck. These wheels were literally brand new, only mounted on one other 510 (my blue one) for around 1 mile. Brand new lug nuts as well.  Pictures of what wheels look like, and then actual damage to the washer.  Hoping someone has ran into this issue, hard to find people who have had or run CSS mesh wheels since they are hard to find it seems. 

1619532_10154767148935331_53771349521142

10710832_10154767152325331_7059294638570

1920263_10154773859955331_58770756872852

gorialla.jpg

1609594_10154767198480331_51939707302008

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on those style wheels but we are seeing those same issues with new lug washers. Ours left a in-dent of nut on some,, and they cone shaped on almost every one of them.. I/we thought they were just the ones we bought.   Ours were gorilla lugs i think.

Does everything have to be shoddily built any more?

• Like 1

LOL i love how these things look on a 510, you dont see carol shelbies either. Car needed a change after all the years with the enkies on.  These were gorilla ones as well, then another brand did the same thing.  Fucking ridiculous. 

Yep, its why my wheel flew off, i had everything tight to 80lbs torque, and seems these washers are why my wheel flew off on 4th plain...:(  even taking up to dans every mile i was tightening them, and down the hill i did one last time. He said they were all loose when i got up there.  May have to find ways to make the lugs stay on, someone suggested spraying por15 on them, letting them dry, and then threading on the lug nuts to torque....rather do it the right way, but i dont want my wheel to fly off again. That was a fucking horrid experience. 

I am kinda curious, do the lug nuts fit tight in the holes of the wheels, or are they loose in the holes?

I had a set of uni-lug wheels a long time ago, they had oval holes in the wheels with offset washers, they stayed tight, but they don't make them like that anymore, likely for a reason.

I would have guessed that the lugs were bottoming out before they were tight against the rim, but if you say they are the correct length, then that isn't it.

Maybe that's why you don't see them on vehicles anymore? Can you get tapered end lug nuts ? And there doesn't seem much of a lip on them either.

If they keep working themselves loose , the thread could be the problem .

Are they hub centric wheels?

I had some Shelby viper (libres) wheels on an old 240z never had a problem ,but also a different wheel

Same deal here, the slots on my 71 ford truck had this happen, it's not the wheels, the washers are made from some sort of mild cheese these days. You can try and find some old ones I guess, but what I did was just heat treated the new ones, like they should have. No problems since.

• Like 1

Sorry to go off topic, but Dan, my friend was describing this "cleanest 510 I've ever seen" to me, and I had a feeling it was yours so I pulled up a pic, sure enough he said thats the one. He says he's seen both your 510's and is in love with them, just thought I'd let you know everyone loves your cars!

What dan says to do and he used to build race cars, so i listen to the guy, knows more than most on here lol, but hes a older guy and finally just got email.  He used to run circle H enterprises and do the race car stuff off of st johns in vancouver. Miss his shop :( 

And thanks justin, glad he didnt see my wheel flying off my purple 510.  

I am getting nervous, there is a 720 and a hardbody that keep going by my house kind of "riced" out  just loud exhaust and always flying up and down our street, neighbor says hes never seen them before and they go by like 2-3 times a week, mostly on the weekends when im working on the cars and look in the garage. If its someone on here come up and say hi, instead of giving me nervous thoughts lol

lol.  I really hope not.

Just makes me nervous when the neighbor whose a 240 guy, he also knows james on here apparently, guess he made a comment about seeing purple behind the gate and going oh dan uphoff lives next to you lol.  But makes me nervous when he says hes seen datsuns he doesnt know or recognize coming around the neighborhood and slowing down near the house.  With all the thefts i guess im just paranoid.  

10514546_10154779270090331_2870002040062

1920263_10154773859955331_58770756872852

Dans just waiting for the tie rod adjuster i had to order (got bend when wheel fell off it seems) and to finish up my sway bar. So hes adjusting my valves and carbs for me to kill the time.  But then we will see what goes on with these wheels. I may put some blue loctite on each wheel, JUST IN CASE the lug nuts do come loose, so ONE will stay on so my damn rim does not fly off again.  I hate having to do that, but just in case. 

Make sure you have good locks and cover stuff up if necessary.  Tarps or otherwise.  Hide them behind so they are a pain to get out and can't be seen from the street.  Disable your garage door opener just in case.  That way they have to physically break in to release the garage door, they can't just use a scanner and open your door.  I have no electric door opener, for one because it was cheaper, for two because of that reason.  Yes, it's annoying to open the garage door every time, but piece of mind is golden.

As for gates, make sure they're sturdy and use a Buffalo lock or something similar.  (The round circle ones that can't be easily snipped with bolt cutters.)  If they want it, they'll get in, but you can make it a pain in the ass for thieves that increases the chances of them getting caught in the act, and/or make it more annoying than they're interested in spending time figuring out.  I'm with you.  If I see people with Datsuns in my neighborhood, I know them.  If not and they keep coming around, tweakers/thieves they probably are.