Thoughts?

Datsun620longbed

So I recently found out that I need to replace the whole front end of my 620 (king pins and all) was looking at getting a 521 to swap my l20b and 5 speed tranny into and found this. Just wanted to know how hard it would be and get some input and or advice on the idea because after my truck I want another datsun instead of just selling my truck

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a 77 620 still use king pins?

a 521 has king pins and like the 521 in the ad most likely needs to be replaced also and they are harder to find Kingpin sets and needs a machine shop to swap them out after you pull the part off the truck.

This 521 is a 500 truck in my opinion and youll be going backwards in my opinion

think you be better off with the 620

NIce looking 521. The floors don't look too bad and floor board replacement isn't that hard. Swaping the L20b and 5-speed is not hard either. You will need a new shorten'd drive shaft and probably have to fab a transmission mount. There are posts on here about the xmission mount fabs. It all depends on how much time and skills you have to do it. I rescued my 521 but left the 4 speed in it. Body off and it wasn't very difficult. You could search through the builds and see what you might have to do to get her back in shape. Good luck and nice 521 though!

a 77 620 still use king pins?a 521 has king pins and like the 521 in the ad most likely needs to be replaced also and they are harder to find Kingpin sets and needs a machine shop to swap them out after you pull the part off the truck.This 521 is a 500 truck in my opinion and youll be going backwards in my opinionthink you be better off with the 620

Yeah the king pins would be one of the things I'd look at. The only reason I have to replace mine is because the guy who owned it last used what ever to put it together so they're warped and worn.

King pins also just wear out from use. That 521 body is great! so depends on how the body on the 620 is. If close stick with the 620 and fix it up. Like Hainz said... the 521 will likely need pin too.

Heres my truck with pictures of my king pins. Body is alright but I need entirely new floor pans being as they're currently street signs haha. http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4725662273.html

The wear is inside out of sight. Raise the wheel off the ground and grip the top and bottom of the wheel. Pull out at top and in at bottom then reverse.  Place a 2x4 under the tire any pry upward. There should be no up and down play between the king pin parts. There should be virtually no tire movement other than turning side to side.

I replaced them in my 521 twice and they were never right. The shop who did the work wasn't very good is my guess. The bushings are 'hammered' in and then have to be exactly reamed to size for the pin with enough room for grease to lube them like a door hinge. There are also selective washer shims to reduce up and down play and a ball bearing and grease fittings that have to line up properly with the bushing so grease can get in. The 521 has the equivalent of casting or 'frost' plugs above and below the pin to seal the ends.

I will never have a king pin vehicle ever again.

• Like 1

The wear is inside out of sight. Raise the wheel off the ground and grip the top and bottom of the wheel. Pull out at top and in at bottom then reverse.  Place a 2x4 under the tire any pry upward. There should be no up and down play between the king pin parts. There should be virtually no tire movement other than turning side to side.

I replaced them in my 521 twice and they were never right. The shop who did the work wasn't very good is my guess. The bushings are 'hammered' in and then have to be exactly reamed to size for the pin with enough room for grease to lube them like a door hinge. There are also selective washer shims to reduce up and down play and a ball bearing and grease fittings that have to line up properly with the bushing so grease can get in. The 521 has the equivalent of casting or 'frost' plugs above and below the pin to seal the ends.

I will never have a king pin vehicle ever again.

Are there any alternatives to the king pins that is worth it or is that a stupid idea and question? Haha

OK, actually your right, I didn't see it before, someone has put a bolt in there where the lower spindle is supposed to be, that is scary.

See the photo below you posted, that is clearly a bolt in there.

20141017_115129_zpsq8dzyeos.jpg

Your supposed to have something that looks like this in the photo below, it has a custom lower arm with disc brakes, don't look at that, just look at the spindle connection with the grease fitting on the end of it.

DSCN3647.JPG

DSCN3648.JPG

You need to buy and install the proper parts if it is possible anymore, it could be ruined, I would have to see it to tell you for sure.

That is what I was told to do but I'm unsure on that's what needs to be done because look here. it doesn't look right to me. Sorry I don't really understand the king pin setup because this is the first time I've seen it and this is my first vehicle.

30deea79-85dd-4b62-84c0-6b0635c0cd5e_zps

Look a bit closer guys.  The PO did a dogbone flip.  The fulcrum pins are there, but they're on the UCA.  LOL!!  Not good!! 

Wow, I didn't even know that was possible, I guess I should shut up, I don't even see what I am seeing.

The only vehicles I have with this equipment left are 320s, and they are all done, I don't have to worry about them again.

It's not possible....at least not safely.  You saw the bolt at the bottom.....I just happened to see the fulcrum pin at the top.....took me a min or two to realize what I was looking at.  The UCA's must have been drilled out to fit the bigger pins.  The entire weight of the front end is on those two bolts.  I can't believe the person that did this trusted the upper arms to hold the pin without the end caps on them.  I think it's fairly salvageable, but won't know unless it's torn down to see just how much damage has been done. 

wELL IF THIS IS YOUR TRUCK IN THE AD AND ITS YOUR AD,

I love this truck but being a senior in high school I neither have the time nor the money for it.

Then most likely you dont need to buy old cars in general or Datsuns. As the 521 needs alot of work also and you just explain your situation in the ad.

Then as Mike pointed out about the flip it reaaly should get fixed ASAP and i you dont have money to this this I assume.

Denmark boy could sell the front suspension for less as Im sure there are not to many people really needing them.But hate to sell it for cheap then you only sell it a few days later anyways(common here)