520/521 instrument panel bulbs

zed1

Does anyone have the Sylvania or GE bulb number for the 520/521 instrument panel bulbs?

The parts manual lists the Nissan number as 26261-30100 (five required at 1.5 watt) and 26261-58000 or 26261-10600 or 26713-89900 (four required at 3.0 watt).

There is a great write-up on replacing with LEDs, however I prefer to keep the vehicle stock.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16444-led-gauge-cluster/?&p=222446&hl=521%20gauge%20lights&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=222446

Thanks,

Keith

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SAE trade number 158 are 3.4 watt bulbs, SAE trade number 161 are the 1.7 watt bulbs.

The four meter illumination lamps are the bright (158) lamps. The OIL. IGN, High Beam, and Turn signal are the dimmer (161) lamps.

I recommend these lamps from superbright Leds for the meter illumination lamps.

DashLampLED_zps2930ec41.jpg

It changes this,

StockDashLamps_zps84ea70bd.jpg

To this.

LEDDashLamps_zps9cfc72d8.jpg

I would also suggest using the brighter 158 lamp in the turn signals of a 521, with the green filters.   They can be hard to see in the daytime.  If you have a 520 instrument cluster, with the orange turn signal indicators, you can use the 161 lamp for the turn signals

• Like 1

The write up you referenced involves a whole lot of work.  I just put the LED lamps in the holders, and did not modify the lens, or anything else in the instrument cluster.  Just changed lamps, and I even did it with the instrument cluster in place.  But I did clean the contacts previously.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I removed the instrument panel (on my 1966 520) and found that the bulbs were the miniature round base style, not the wedge style. Unfortunately, one of the bases broke. Do you know which other Datsun that used the round base style twist socket?

Thanks,

Keith

• Like 1

I do not know what other Datsuns used the same type of lamp (bulb) holders. 

When I ordered the lamps from Superbright leds, I also ordered some lamp holders they had, but they did not fit right.  I think they were slightly too small.

I think some years of 520/521 trucks used the bayonet (round) base lamps, and others used the wedge base lamps.  I believe the holders for bayonet, and wedge lamp Datsun holders will interchange into different Datsun instrument clusters, but obviously, you need the correct lamp for the holder.

You just have to try different lamp holders in your instrument cluster.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The thermal insulators on the gauge panel are cracked.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53116286@N07/15280812443/

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Kieth if you are running LED"s then there will be no heat.  In my opinion what you refer to as thermal insulators are to prevent light bleed form the area the light is to be contained in.  i.e. turn signal indicators lights and the warning indicator lights (oil & Ignition).  They probably did also what you said about controlling heat also.  When using using the LED's I plan to use black silicon sealer on this.  When I put my glass back on to the face of the cluster I used clear silicone to seal it.

1971 Datsun 521 wedge bulb and socket on left, 1966 Datsun 520 round bulb and socket on right,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53116286@N07/15295097484/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53116286@N07/15295097284/in/photostream/

I have not been able to locate a source for the round socket. Was this used on the Datsun 320 to 410?

Thanks,

Keith

• Like 1