200sx brake mods.

scooter

Hey guys, im looking to see if i can put 280zx vented discs on my 200sx or if theyre the same as 510 ones.

So, im looking for the bolt pattern for 280zx brake discs and the i.d of the disc too.

Im also curious on whats the same as other datsuns. Pics comming soon.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It (the ZX disc) will not likely bolt to the S10 hub as it has a larger diameter bolt circle.... but the S10 caliper is totally wrong anyway and the zx caliper mount holes are farther apart so it won't fit either. In addition, the ZX caliper mounting bolts screw into the caliper's threaded holes.... on the S10 the caliper is bolted to the strut threaded mount holes.

The zx hub with the disc, will possibly fit the S10 spindle as they share the same wheel bearings, seals and spindle diameter and length from the backing plate. The zx backing plate has the same bolt pattern as the S10 so that will swap.

I think you can get the hub and disc on but that's as far as you can go.

Intresting, that helps alot.

I really wanna get rid of these calipers.. I dont have a problem making a caliper mount. Ill see if i can dig up a zx hub and rotor and see what i can do from there. I assume this is the same disc bolt pattern as a 510?

Also is the tc and lower control arm length the same as anything else? I wanna go adjustable everything.

Intresting, that helps alot.

I really wanna get rid of these calipers.. I dont have a problem making a caliper mount. Ill see if i can dig up a zx hub and rotor and see what i can do from there. I assume this is the same disc bolt pattern as a 510?

Also is the tc and lower control arm length the same as anything else? I wanna go adjustable everything.

From the center of the hub out to the zx rotor bolt circle is 103mm. The A10 (HL510) and S110 (200sx) are 95mm so likely the S10 are smaller also.

VG30E are 4 lug but the turbo's are 5. No way to know about the fit after all this is way out there modification wise.

If you have a solid rotor try the early '80 Toyota 4 pot calipers from a 4x4. They are a bolt on swap for the 240z and may be close.

I have the early S12 X 8 4 pot calipers on my 620. Rebuilt them myself with a kit and will stop my 3,400 lb truck without a problem. These, made for the single rotor, were used through '85. From '86 on they remained the same bit were widened for use with the slightly larger diameter, vented rotors.

If any were to fit the later zx, it would be the wider ones. I have a set or '87 wide calipers I was going to adapt to my 620 but need the vented FJ Landcruiser rotors to make it work.

This caliper is for the solid rotor.

s12solid.jpg

The one on the right is for a vented rotor

IMG_0243.jpg

Maxima and '87 'Yoda 4x4 calipers. Fuck they are huge.

Nissan owned 20% (up until the 2000s) of Fuji Heavy Industries which was a piece of a conglomerate broken up after WW!! Not clear if Toyota was also a part owner back then but does own about 17% now. FHI made auto parts for Nissan and Subaru and others. This is why the Subaru rear ends fit the 510. Many of these parts share similarities across several car makers. FHI currently produces Subaru cars.

Will they fit 13" rims, who knows

Thing is there are practical limits to a brake, any brake. The stopping power is limited by the vehicle weight and the tire size. Once the tire breaks traction and starts to slide, even a 350zx twin turbo 8 piston caliper won't make it stop any faster. A larger (within reason) caliper will make braking easier but the biggest gain is rarely noticed unless you race your car. A larger caliper and vented rotor will absorb much more repeated, punishingly hard panic stops without over heating and fading. This (almost)never happens off the track. On the highway they only have to slow suddenly or stop once. An auto cross isn't long enough to over heat the brakes. But it sure is nice to know you have extra insurance.

i have s110 strut and hubs in my 510 with 240z solid rotor brakes and calipers. I would assume that stuff to be bolt on for you too.... I can take measurements of parts if you want.

I got some toyota s12w calipers (w is for wide / vented rotors) and was planning to run them with  4 lug 300zx vented front rotors and a spacer but i haven't gotten that far yet. BUT i can verify that the calipers bolt to the struts and are huge. I expect i might have wheel clearance problems with my 15s though so i doubt 13s would cut it.

Scooter,

Look into the front rotor for an 84-88 200SX or 81-6/84 Maxima.

Centric P/N 121.42010.

These have the same hub register and bolt pattern as your 77 200sx hub, so they will bolt to your existing hub. The rotors are vented, 250mm dia, x 18mm thick (ref: 280ZX is 252mm x 20mm thk).

Your '77 200SX rotor has a height of 35.5mm and the 84-88 200SX is only 22mm so you should have room behind the rotor for a caliper adapter.  

Rock Auto has the later 200SX rotor @ $11.09/ea, so you wouldn't be out too much cash to buy one and experiment.

My discovery... I need 280zx struts! lol

The caliper bracket has a bolt hole a half inch off, otherwise the calipers are dimensionally correct and line up centered on thhe stock discs. With a s13 257 disc, I would have to space the caliper about a quarter inch. This could work well for adapters if I flipped the struts so I can clock the caliper in a better position.

This could work well on a 280zx strut.

It looks like it'll clear fine on 13 inch offset race wheels (bassetts)