When your wheel falls off.....

danfiveten

SO much fun yesterday. I had put the carol shelbies on purple a month ago. Sinc ethen ive re torqued them down, and then did so last weekend when i put it in the garage after driving around the block. NO WAY they should of all gotten loose 1 mile down the road. Well thats what happend, all of them were finger tight, i could loosen them with my hand, all the lugs from my left wheel flew off and so did my wheel, right on 4th plain and i blocked both lanes because i had tried to get over.  I dont know if something wrong with the long shank lugs i had that they didnt stay down tight, or what. But i had to pay a tow truck to lift my car by the valance with his lift, to get the wheel back on, then begin the search for more long shank lugs to fit on the car.  Then when fixed we thought all was good, no real damage other than having to destory my air dam :( and i start to go and the back wheel is wobbling.  Im hoping, HOPING its because its not on flush, maybe with the lugs loose it slid a bit and isnt on right. I love how these wheels look, but i never had a issue with my enkies, feel like the cars pissed off at me for switching its wheels after 20 years :(.  Yesterday was horrible, she was supposed to go up to Dan Harts to get the brakes fixed, now it may be on the way to Carls Alignment to fix what all got fucked up with this happening if i cant fix the back wobble.  

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO much fun yesterday. I had put the carol shelbies on purple a month ago. Sinc ethen ive re torqued them down, and then did so last weekend when i put it in the garage after driving around the block. NO WAY they should of all gotten loose 1 mile down the road. Well thats what happend, all of them were finger tight, i could loosen them with my hand, all the lugs from my left wheel flew off and so did my wheel, right on 4th plain and i blocked both lanes because i had tried to get over.  I dont know if something wrong with the long shank lugs i had that they didnt stay down tight, or what. But i had to pay a tow truck to lift my car by the valance with his lift, to get the wheel back on, then begin the search for more long shank lugs to fit on the car.  Then when fixed we thought all was good, no real damage other than having to destory my air dam :( and i start to go and the back wheel is wobbling.  Im hoping, HOPING its because its not on flush, maybe with the lugs loose it slid a bit and isnt on right. I love how these wheels look, but i never had a issue with my enkies, feel like the cars pissed off at me for switching its wheels after 20 years :(.  Yesterday was horrible, she was supposed to go up to Dan Harts to get the brakes fixed, now it may be on the way to Carls Alignment to fix what all got fucked up with this happening if i cant fix the back wobble.

Sorry to hear about that, I would go back to something that worked better if those loosened so quickly. Good luck.

Yes, the lugs are tight (bottomed) on the top of the stud but not clamping the actual rim tight. The rim chatters and loosens them.

or the shank is too long and bottoming on the hub before clamping the wheel.

I had to shorten the shank on a set, an emergency repair at the track so I used a hack saw. Would have been nice to have turned them in a lathe,  but I didn't have one in my tool box.

Yah we think they are to long, dan is going to check. I got her up there, had to drive 30 the whole way out to his place, a 25 min drive took almost a hour.  Hes also going to do my front end rebuild now for me, rather pay him than the shop, plus i love his work.  He thinks the lugs are to long, why the one flared out and would not pull out, why they got loose even though they were tight.  I was re-tightening the nuts every few miles just to be safe.   Hes fixing my rear sway bar, my brakes, and doing my front end rebuild and replacing my clutch master.   

He built the car for my dad, that motor in there is from him in the 80's and still going till today. For those that know Dan Hart, hes amazing with anything he touches datsun.  I trust him more than my own work. 

• Like 1