cat converter

85"720

Every once in while when I run my truck hard for a few seconds when I stop accelerating I would get the smell of rotten eggs. But people say its the sulfur in the gas making it smell. Is this normal or is the cat failing. Has anyone used high flow cats nd would I pass smog with it on.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such thing as a real "high flow" cat. 

It is nothing more than a test pipe with a little bit of substrate/metal weaving in place to call it a cat. 

One of those will not pass strict emissions testing. 

Spend your money on Summit all day long if you want. 

Legally, an exhaust shop in Cali is not supposed to install your supplied cat nor can they NOT sell you a CARB certified cat. 

Federal laws are a bitch about fiddling with emissions equipped cars. California is even worse. 

I don't think so. I often work on the side of the road and 'new' cars pas with this funny whiff. Might be hot metal. 

Only way to know if a cat if failing is when it does not pass emissions testing.  Don't pay for a new one if not needed.

Mike's right- smell doesn't necessarily mean a failing cat.

A friend of mine is a tech at a new car dealer, he says a few people have brought in their new or relatively new cars in complaining of the exhaust smell, but there's nothing wrong the car- they just smell that way. He suggested what Mike just suggested- hot metal, plus the materials in the cat and muffler.

john510: I'm not so sure about that.  I have plenty of friends with OBDI NA and NB miatas (early- to mid- nineties), and they still worry about having a CARB sticker on the replacement cats.

Of course, there's the difference between whether it's mandated by law and whether someone's going to call you on it.