motor oil

85"720

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ATF!

Bahha. JK...  Use what you like man.  I use 20-50  1040 was good too.  I heard 15-30 diesel oil worked great too.  Try a few out and see what you like. PS, you can spend up to like 20 bucks per quart.  But, it's not going to be in your motor long.  Really, it's better to change often even with cheaper oil than to use expensive oil and hardly change it.  (That doesn't mean go and buy Orielly's super cheap bottom of the barrel garbage)

Never 5W anything. That's for 50F and down to -30 below and way too thin.  Select an oil based on the coldest expected temperature before the next oil change.  If you don't go below 60F then 20W40 even as low as 10W40 in the summer. Winter is coming so 10W40 or 10W30 always with a new filter.

All oils have been lowering their ZDDP levels every year because it ruins the new catalytic converters and today's new cars all run roller cams and don't need the anti scuff protection.  I don't know what level of ZDDP our 'flat tappet cams' need to protect them from premature wear, so if in doubt, run a 'light diesel' oil like Chevron Delo400 or Shell Rotella T 15W40. It still maintains a reasonably high ZDDP level in it.

Interesting.  '86 FSM says 0.012".  It's funny how all of the little details change over the live of the model.

Were you looking at cold or hot?  All the manuals I've seen said 14 across the board for Naps Z motors (z24 anyways, i haven't owned a Z22 or Z20).  But then again, 86 was kind of a funny year.  TBI (or TPI) instead of carbbed.  Shrug. 

Datsun24_zpse718891c.jpg

BRAD PENN. Contains the high level of Zinc and Phosphorus that our flat tappet cams need. It will destroy your catalytic converter over time like Datzenmike said though, if you run one. I choose the health of my engine over a cat. Maybe a local shop can make a bolt up pipe to remove the cat when/if you need to? I had three bolt triangle flanges welded pre and post cat on another truck of mine, just to make it easy to take apart if I need to, part of a job done right; I replaced OEM with a 50 state legal Banks Power Pack that kept the cat in line. Would of been easy to make a pipe/resonator to bolt up as a replacement if I needed to on that truck. I run 10W-40 in So Cal. After all my research, I'm sold on this brand for any "old school," flat tappet cam engine. I think the ZDDP is more important a question than the weight. Your rattle may just be from the damage already done from modern oils not having the protection required for the cam in your classic.

• 2 weeks later...