wtf light problem? please help

I have a 1976 datsun 620 When I pull my light switch out one pull I get no dash lights no running lights nothing and then when I pull it out the 2nd spot the running lights and dash lights and blinkers and hazards all work but absolutely no low beams no high beams and I don't no what to do please any tips or advice would be awesome thank you

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Headlights and parking lights are on two different fuses. The parking lights work on the second position so you know the fuse is good so possibly the switch is failed.

Replace the 15 amp headlight fuse, middle one on the right side of fuse box. If still no headlights, I highly suspect the switch as the parking lights are also not working.

I've found that you can carefully pry the switch apart and get it back together at least once if careful. The copper contacts slide across contacts inside. Doesn't take much corrosion to stop it working. Just steel wool everything shiny and crimp it back together.

For those removing the headlight switch....

Unplug first

Pull switch out fully

Grip stem with needle nose pliers as close to dash as possible and hold tightly.

Push in on the knob and twist.

Knob will release and lift away.

Unscrew the round collar.

Push switch through thedfash and recover it.

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...

The 620 fuse box can be unplugged and unscrewed from under the dash. Take a picture of or write down there the  fuses go when you take them out. Wash the box thoroughly and then submerge it over night is a bath of lemon juice and salt. In the morning scrub with an old toothbrush and rinse and dry. Put back in with new fuses.

• Like 1

okay so I went and played with the light switch after spraying electrical cleaner behind it. now its only my interior blinker lights that don't work. thinking I will power test the fuses and go from there. this poor truck got mangled by someone trying to rewire in the past and had lots of extra cables and battery blocks that connect to nothing so I got some cleaning up to do. 

@Datzenmike that is ingenious I will def clean out my fuse box now too thanks!

I have that issue right now I traced power all the way to the back of the cluster.. check the bulb (obvious)

But you can also check for power and ground where the bulb goes....

In my case I am missing ground at the bulb, i can find it really close by but haven't gotten back to finish fixing it yet to see where it actually disconnected....