620 steering column rag/u joint modification?

SrDejota

I have a 72.5 620 that I want to body lift 3". I don't want the steering wheel in my legs, so I am looking at options as to how to keep it in its stock position. Possibly rotating the steering box up, but it looks like the center link may hit the pan. The other option is installing a rag/u joint in the solid column. My questions are: has anyone done this?

Will the column come out of the box if you cut out a section of column?

What is the inside diameter of the column sleeve?

What is the outside dimension of the column shaft?

Does anyone have a small section of steering column that I can buy from them so I can get measurements and make a mock up.

Thanks for any help you all can be.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't take any pics of the column and shaft either as it was last minute get done for camping. I have to go through everything again at some point. I will be sure to take pictures.

As far as 2wd goes you should be able to make the 80 720 stuff work fairly easily.

The steering column/box mod included buying a column from a 90 nissan 4x4 truck refered to as the "donor column". I suppose any Nissan truck rag/u-joint will work. This mod requires a lathe and a welder to be sucessfull.

My brother Garret is my fabricator. I explain to him what I am trying to achieve and then we throw ideas back and forth of how to achieve the goal and I leave him alone and in a week or a month he will have fabbed up what is needed.

First he took measurements of the original column and box (length, ID &OD of column tube & shaft) did the same with the donor column. Also noted at what point the original column passed through the firewall. at this point I must note that thdonor column tube & shaft are smaller in diametethan the original 66 520 column tube & shaft. Garret then disassembled both columns and the original steering gear box. He determined the maximum & minimum length of the rag/u-joint section of the donor column column as the is a little room for adjustment (error) because of the splines on both ends of this assembly. He took those measurements and laid out the cuts on both columns and shafts. He morphed the bottom of the donor column tube with the cut portion of the original tube & shaft. Garret took the rag joint apart and chucked the shaft centered in the lathe and used a parting tool to cut a 1" section of the spline off the shaft, rechamfered the end of the shaft. He then took the original shaft that is one piece with the steering worm gear chucked it up in a lathe found center and turned dowm the shaft to fit the seal he chose to use. Next he welded the 1" splined piece to the end of the original shaft. He tuned the ID of the original tube to the diameter needed for the seal. Garret made a plate that fit the original column boot hole with a pinch clamp to hold the column soild to the cab. This is possible because the cab movement is absorbed through the rag/u-joint. No more air leak around the column.

ModdedSteeringColumn2.jpg

ModdedSteeringColumn3.jpg

ModdedSteeringColumn4.jpg

Modiedsteeringgearbox2.jpg

Modiedsteeringgearbox3.jpg

Modiedsteeringgearbox4.jpg

I will disassemble and get better pictures as soon as I heal up. I tore my groin muscle last Sunday and I am on crutches and restricted to minimal movement.

On my 70 521 that my brother and I did back in the 90's I just hacked the firewall for clearance for the 3" lift.

I am surprised that with all the talents and skills on this site that this has not been done several times already.

My brother works for a large metal fabriction shop here that has an incredible amount of tooling. Note the paperbag on the floor of my cab in the steering gear box photos. Any and all sugestions are welcomed.

Thank you all for the great site, you all make Ratsun.net what is,
Charlie