Are converting to disk brakes worth it

slipknot98

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lucky to find an untouched 85 D21 at the yard and compared the two. The 94 pathfinder spindle mounts differently than the D21. the LCA lower mount mounts above the spindle. So I grabbed the spindle and hub off the D21 and grabbed the 2 piston caliper off the pathfinder. I was told a D21 rotor should mate up with the pathfinder caliper. Can anyone confirm that?

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky to find an untouched 85 D21 at the yard and compared the two. The 94 pathfinder spindle mounts differently than the D21. the LCA lower mount mounts above the spindle. So I grabbed the spindle and hub off the D21 and grabbed the 2 piston caliper off the pathfinder. I was told a D21 rotor should mate up with the pathfinder caliper. Can anyone confirm that?

I did the same conversion on my truck. If the D21 that you got the parts from had a 6 cyl, the rotors will work with pathfinder calipers. 4 cyl rotors are a smaller diameter and will not work with pathy calipers. As, a sidenote, the rotors have to be 6 cyl 2WD. Hope this helps.

I did the same conversion on my truck. If the D21 that you got the parts from had a 6 cyl, the rotors will work with pathfinder calipers. 4 cyl rotors are a smaller diameter and will not work with pathy calipers. As, a sidenote, the rotors have to be 6 cyl 2WD. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I ordered Pathfinder rotors that matched with the calipers. Also I was told to order 4WD D21 brake lines. They all bolt up fine and I was able to test drive without crashing :D . The brake line has doesn't fit 100% but it does screw together. Just the retainer clip doesn't fit any longer.

• Like 1

Hmm I have a strange problem. I finished swapping the spindles in and it looks all good. But driving this is another story. It's terrifying to drive now. Unstable and it has a long delay between steering input and wheels changing direction. Sometimes turning it causes the wheels to squeal. Could it be a bad alignment now? Ball joints are from my 620 and are new. What could be the issue?

Thanks. I took everything apart yesterday to see if I missed anything. Also I replaced the right lower ball joint as well. Since I had it laying around but not installed because I was lazy. Hopefully I can test drive today and see if it has improved.

Strange thing I notice though, and I don't know if this is normal, but I notice that the wheel that points to the direction I am turning has way more turning angle than the other side. I see a turn angle stopper on the spindle that prevents the wheel from turning too much. Should I adjust that lockout to allow more angle?

The wheels turn at different rates, with the inside wheel turning more.  This is your ackerman angle.  The inside wheel turns more because it is traveling on a tighter (shorter) radius than the outside wheel.  This is normal, and correct.  Full lock stops can probably be adjusted wherever you like as long as you don't rub or bind anything throughout your suspension travel range.

• Like 1

No that not what that is for. The inside tire will appear to be turning in more, it's normal.

Set the front wheels straight ahead and stand in front. Pick one side and adjust the front wheel so that it is straight ahead by sighting back to the rear wheel. A helper is handy for this. By looking down the outsides of the tire you can get the front and read wheel pointing at you.

No go over and look at the other front wheel. Does it they line up exactly with the rear tire behind it? or is it turned in or is it turned out? If it's turned in or out the toe needs adjusting.

If this seems too close to call it may be ok.

Raise the wheels off the ground and have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth lightly while you inspect all other steering parts. Some components will be moving but not passing this movement on (too much play or looseness) Even the steering box may need some adjustment.