411 Front Disc brakes

Looks good, and similar to Mike Klotz's 410/411 disc brake conversion (I still need to finish mine). I see the 620 brake m/c is 3/4" bore. I went with a 280Z brake m/c, which IIRC is 15/16".

- How long is the 620 brake m/c?

- You mention bending/flaring brake lines is easier with a good kit. What do you have?

Thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished up the disc install and took the car for a quick spin last night at around midnight. The pedal feels good but the front-/rear balance is off. It's fairly easy to get the rear wheels to lock up under quick braking, so I will need to install a proportioning valve.

I think RL411s have an inline valve on the firewall maybe? It would be great to find a factory valve, but if not I'll get an adjustable one.

Anybody know how the RLs or Roadsters have their brakes balanced front to rear? Is there a prop valve somewhere in the system?

~Jesse

There wasn't a proportioning valve on the 411 or roadsters. The E1/J13 410/411's were all drum; funky two 1-inch wheel cylinders per wheel in front, one 15/16-inch wheel cylinder per wheel in back, so naturally balanced.

The roadster balance was done by the size of the rear drum wheel cylinders. When they switched to a dual-reservoir brake m/c, they changed the size of the rear wheel cylinders (I think 13/16 down to 3/4). Racers went smaller (11/16-inch) to change the bias to favor the front discs more.

According to the 411 parts manual, the RL411 rear wheel cylinders were also 11/16-inch.