1980 Subaru GLF-5

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it looks like this is going to be my daily driver for a bit.  The throttle body on the Genesis Coupe crapped out this morning and the dealer doesn't know when they can get another.  Apparently I live in a geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere!

• Like 2

I drove the thing home today!  It tools along just fine at 65-70 on the freeway, and even passes people!  It IS a bit cross-wind sensitive though... and the brakes are still a little sketchy in a high-speed "panic" situation... and there is that oil drip... but it is quite fun to drive.  I'm very pleased.

That is pretty nice.

Are those snow tires? In Texas?

Yarp!  I wanted an aggressive looking "Rally Car Tyre" sort of thing for the 13" wheels and snow tires were all I could fin... ok, snow tires were all I could afford.  Yes, I know we don't really get snow here.  Yes, I realize they will wear out by the time I get to work Friday.  But... um... YOUR FACE IS SNOW TIRES!

Well, it looks like this is going to be my daily driver for a bit.  The throttle body on the Genesis Coupe crapped out this morning and the dealer doesn't know when they can get another.  Apparently I live in a geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere!

Has to come from Korea no doubt. :rofl:

Has to come from Korea no doubt. :rofl:

Perhaps this was one of the cyber-hacks that they threatened against Sony!  Damn it Kim Jong Un!  I had nothing to do with that film!  I wasn't even planning on seeing it!

I had a Supertrapp muffler I took off of the B-210 banging around the shop so I decided to have it installed on the Scooby Two.  I think John took a picture while the car was on the ramp.  Lettuce see if he posts it.  The car now has the "Boxer Rumble" we all lo... hmm, I guess finish that last word with "athe" or "ve" depending on your opinion of Subaru engine sound.  At the very least, it LOOKS cooler with that muff poking out back.

seems only natural to get a kitty knob for it as well

$_57.JPG

Put the new knob on for a test fit, but can't do a permanent install until I finish the matching shift boot. 

20141101_133005.jpg

Definitely needs new tires, they are a bit wobbly and don't all hold air very well. After that and maybe some more brake fiddling, I think it's ready for the road!   :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Because sexytime...

20141108_112451.jpg

Well, you got that, and the horn button, and stickers, now you need THIS TAILPIPE:

397224_221764337912017_121190977969354_4

As a side note, we did take a lengthy look around while it was in the air. The car appears to have zero rust on the underside. There is very thick factory undercoating EVERYWHERE. 

That's the upside.   :thumbup:

Downside is the right side rocker cover has a pretty healthy leak. Left side cover has a nice beginner leak as well. Guessing we will need to do those pretty soon...   :blush:

Did I tell the story of getting pulled over for the expired plates and inspection?  If so... deal with it, here it is again!  On Friday, I was coming home from work when I saw a Benbrook cop to my right at a four-way stop.  He pulled away and turned left onto the road I was on and started up the hill.  I rolled through the intersection and watched him in the mirror.  Just about the time I decided, "Whew! He's not going to turn around," he turned around.  He lit me up and I pulled into the Baptist church parking lot.  I rolled down the window and gathered up the title, title transfer paperwork, and insurance card then waited for him to get to the window before removing my seatbelt and digging out my wallet.  "Ok," I said, "Here's the story!"  I told him how I was planning to wait for payday, without driving the car, to transfer the title and get the inspection, but my daily driver crapped out and forced this car into service... on Christmas Eve!  And now that it was the day after Christmas, and payday, the sub-courthouse was closed.  He shuffled his feet a bit and and mumbled something about, "But... sixteen years out of date..."  I said, "What if I went RIGHT NOW to Iffy Lube and got the inspection done?"  He handed me back the paperwork and said, "Yeah, go do that and I'll consider this 'transit from purchase to home,'" or something like that.  Needles to say, I hauled ass... well, as much ass as that car will haul, to Iffy Lube.  Today I finally got to the courthouse for the license.  The car is finally legal and stuff!  So of course Hyundai called to say the Genesis is ready.  Timing is everything!

i've been told wisdom comes with age. :blush: i pulled the same thing with an out of rego'd car last year. i've only got to drive 5 mins. down to the shop. what are the chances i'll get pulled over? i'm almost there but i hit a yellow light. i'd better stop in case there's a cop around. so i'm waiting at the light and who pulls up behind me? yep  :rofl:

This thing takes a full ten minutes to warm up enough to get up the hill in front of my house.  "This will not do!" thought I.  So I asked Mr. Roper what he thought about a block heater.  He found an inline unit on Da-Bay which I promptly bought.  It arrived this week so I drove Scooby Two to the shop this morning.  Yeah, that heater ain't gonna fit, no way, no how.  It wants 1 3/4" radiator hoses and the car has... hell, I don't know, 1"?  Ok, they aren't really that small, but they might as well be.  We grokked a few things and decided to yank the A/C compressor because... racecar!  Oh, we also replaced the thermostat thinking that maybe it was stuck open, or too cold a unit, or something.  To make a short story long, it still takes ten minutes to warm up and now the engine runs even colder than before!  It runs great when warmed up but it gives me fits until then.  Finally, we adjusted the clutch and filled the brake reservoirs so at least those two pedals feel better than before!  I took it for a hoon on one of my favorite hooning roads just now and... damn, I love this car!