1980 Subaru GLF-5

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, because we need yet another old Japanese car that doesn't run...   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :sneaky:

That is all cut up with a half way finished swap...

You boys are going to mess around and hurt my feelings!

Rewired the fuel pump, now works like a charm. Got the air filter back on. Fired right up and ran super smooth. Had to turn the idle down a bit, but it's a new carb so...

20141101_131720.jpg

At this point we thought we might as well see how she goes down the road. Put the wheels back on and got it off the jackstands. Seems to go into gear fine, and stop okay (pedal kinda mushy), but it drives GREAT!   :thumbup:

Put the new knob on for a test fit, but can't do a permanent install until I finish the matching shift boot. 

20141101_133005.jpg

Definitely needs new tires, they are a bit wobbly and don't all hold air very well. After that and maybe some more brake fiddling, I think it's ready for the road!   :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Rewired the fuel pump, now works like a charm. Got the air filter back on. Fired right up and ran super smooth. Had to turn the idle down a bit, but it's a new carb so...

20141101_131720.jpg

At this point we thought we might as well see how she goes down the road. Put the wheels back on and got it off the jackstands. Seems to go into gear fine, and stop okay (pedal kinda mushy), but it drives GREAT!   :thumbup:

Put the new knob on for a test fit, but can't do a permanent install until I finish the matching shift boot. 

20141101_133005.jpg

Definitely needs new tires, they are a bit wobbly and don't all hold air very well. After that and maybe some more brake fiddling, I think it's ready for the road!   :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I think the shift lever needs to be shortened a little to make up for the tall knob. :poke:

I think the shift lever needs to be shortened a little to make up for the tall knob. :poke:

Well, this knob sits 2" shorter than the one that was on it, so...   :rofl:

We looked at pulling out it and shortening it, and even bending it forward a bit. It'll happen eventually since it needs new bushings in the shifter mechanism anyway. Being FWD with a shifter linkage down there, we thought it best to save that for another day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Found some generic bulb seal from McMaster-Carr that looked like a good substitute for the stock quarter glass seal.

Tim bought some and as it turns out, it is a good fit...    :thumbup:

20141122_132301.jpg

Tried to buy some new wiper blades, and it turns out the Subaru uses a very funky blade attachment that none of the new ones fit. But...

The way the arms bolt onto the car is identical to a Datsun.  B)

Took the wiper arms from my 1200 (not using them anyway) and they bolted straight on. Then the new blades popped onto the 1200 arms perfectly.  :thumbup:

20141122_132250.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the 1" pinstripe I ordered from China on e-Bay back in November FINALLY arrived today.  I'm going to use it to cover up the unsightly holes left after drilling out the rivets holding the even more unsightly rub strips.  I also got the penultimate signature I needed to get the registration done today.  With any luck, I'll be driving the thing soon!  Oh, I was debating whether I was going to register it as an antique so's I wouldn't need to get it inspected, but I stopped by my inspector, Gadget's his name, and asked what's required on a 1980 car.  Once he said, "Blah, blah, blah, no emissions, blah, blah..." I quit listening and decided regular registration it is.

Finally, after all these months, I have the title in my hot little hands!  I'm planning on getting it transferred tomorrow, mount up the tires, get it inspected, and start hooning the thing!  Ok, as much as one CAN hoon a 1.6L Subaru GLF.  Still, I'm pretty stoked!

• Like 1

Oops, I forgot that this is an "Twixt Paydays" Friday... aka, Tim's broke!  Alls I managed to get done was have the tires mounted... and one of them leaks.  Now, having said that, John managed to install the pinstripe down the side and the car looks much sexytime.  I took it up onto the freeway, twice, and my assessment is that if you aren't in a hurry, the thing is a hoot to drive!  I probably should have kicked in the extra $100.00 for the genuine Weber 32/36 rather than the Chinese knockoff though as there is a tiny bit of a stumble just off idle in first gear.  But it pulls well everywhere else, so I'm quite pleased.