1980 Subaru GLF-5

My shop partner Tim (aka Dimlight65) has been on his neighbor to sell him this car for many years and he finally relented. 

20141004_101044.jpg

It's been parked for a loooong time, so there's a bit of work ahead of us...

In the shop for teardown...

20141004_102324.jpg

Repair list...

20141004_110027.jpg

Interior in decent shape, stock shift knob was nasty so out it came...

20141004_102346.jpg

New shifter...

20141004_110044.jpg

Someone took the radio out, we'll replace it with something I'm sure...   ^_^

Stock carb, air filter assembly, and a shitload of vacuum lines removed and tossed in the bin...

20141004_102313.jpg

Replaced the factory spare tire brace with a strut tower brace...   :rofl:

20141004_121412.jpg

Couldn't find a 32/36 carb adapter kit for it, since everything seems to be for the bigger 1800cc engine (this is a 1600cc), so we decided to make our own...

20141011_103416.jpg

Halfway done...

20141011_105056.jpg

And all the way done...

20141011_143721.jpg

You can also see in the last two pics we put on a new cap, rotor, plug wires, and installed new plugs. 

Got the gas tank drained (smelly, but not sludgy), so I think once we pour in some fresh gas we'll be ready to fire it up.   :thumbup:

• Like 3
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know the engine importers get some weird motors , out here I have seen a twin turbo 2.2 ,standard motors starting to get popular , I have done AC on a bunch of Vanagons with Subi plants , I will try and get oics of some guys Baja bug out here ,long travel thing. [url=http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Alleycatgarage/media/104_2095.jpg.html]104_2095.jpg

rare subi there are weber adapters out there for the 1600 you just have to know where to look i must say you have a rare car 2 doors are by far the rarest ive seen of this body style looks like its only 2wd though as i see no shifter for the 4x4 

just noticed it has ac.... never turn it on the 1600 is a total slug without the ac dragging it down but this does make me miss mine 

rare subi there are weber adapters out there for the 1600 you just have to know where to look i must say you have a rare car 2 doors are by far the rarest ive seen of this body style looks like its only 2wd though as i see no shifter for the 4x4 

just noticed it has ac.... never turn it on the 1600 is a total slug without the ac dragging it down but this does make me miss mine 

It is indeed "just" 2WD, good eye.  Looking at the state of the hoses, I doubt the thing would hold pressure if the A/C were turned on.  I'm trying my damndest to NOT yank all the A/C crap off, as is my MO with old cars.  We'll see.

it would be cool for it to stay as most didnt come with it but thats only if you wanna keep it original also wheel choices look at 6 lug stuff its REALLY easy to convert these to 6 lug as the 4 lug pattern is spaced the same as the chevy/ datsun 6 lug pattern its as simple as knocking 2 of the studs out bolting up a wheel drilling new holes and putting new studs in 

rare subi there are weber adapters out there for the 1600 you just have to know where to look

Well, we actually found one, and ordered it. But when it showed up it was for an 1800.    :rofl:

We used the top half of the adapter kit and just fabbed a new bottom half. Worked a treat, so other than being out a few bucks, no big deal.   :thumbup:

its REALLY easy to convert these to 6 lug as the 4 lug pattern is spaced the same as the chevy/ datsun 6 lug pattern its as simple as knocking 2 of the studs out bolting up a wheel drilling new holes and putting new studs in 

We actually discussed this already. Unless we get lucky and find some 15" Peugeot wheels, it will likely happen.  ^_^

We already have a set of early 15" Pathfinder steelies, so...

Well, I'm glad I didn't say something stupid like, "If this dash pad fits, I'll eat a turd," or something... 'cuz it actually fit!  I don't know if John took a picture of it.  We'll see.  We chose a steering wheel and got that installed today.  I know he took a picture of that!  And best news of all... we fired the bastard up today!  The thing runs smooth as buttah!  We need to finger out why the fuel pump isn't getting electricity and fill the radiator before we can try to drive it.  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Well, I'm glad I didn't say something stupid like, "If this dash pad fits, I'll eat a turd," or something... 'cuz it actually fit!  I don't know if John took a picture of it.  We'll see.  We chose a steering wheel and got that installed today.  I know he took a picture of that! 

Pad on, and steering wheel on...

20141018_103233.jpg

And of course, the horn button of choice...

20141018_103242.jpg

Also Tim forgot to mention that he installed the new front calipers today, and we bled the brakes. Pedal feels awesome. Can't wait to drive this thing...   :thumbup:

• Like 1