Child's Play

RATX5

At the ripe age of 6 my mother purchased me a subscription of Mini Truckin' magazine. The following week my first issue arrived and contained in it's pages was a grungy army green colored 73' Datsun 620...It was love at first sight. Since then I have moved to the middle of a cornfield and far-far away from the pocket of the United States that contains most of the Datsun 620's. After tirelessly searching for one I gave up and posted a local wanted add for one on craigslist. Within a day I received a call that led me to this little gem only 45 minutes away. Despite the fact that going 45 minutes out of the way and spending $850 on "A rusty piece of shit" as my mother referred to is as, I hope that this little 78' 620 has big things in it's future. Now that I'm done rambling on about the whole backstory, here are some pics because I know you guys love them. Sadly none of the engine bay, seeing as I don't currently have the truck at home (had to leave it with the guy I bought it from until tomorrow morning.) 
IMG_1447_zps4e4f3022.jpg

IMG_1439_zps59642f67.jpg

IMG_1849_zps68359a26.jpg

IMG_3475_zpsce7db48b.jpg

IMG_2400_zps39a4b9c7.jpg

IMG_3310_zps73763659.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, was wondering what that was on the hood on the top picture.

i'm still wondering what's on the hood, what's with the lift in between the stripes? any plans?

looks decent from the pics, welcom

It's a Datsun badge, I'm assuming it's aftermarket but it looks like she was a farm truck then a daily driver (2 previous owners) so I'm not sure why someone would add a badge to something they intend to beat up.

Nice find! What are your plans?
Welcome to ratsun

Considering a 4" drop, possibly airbags. Can't decide if I want to keep the red she currently has or  go for some shade of bright yellow. I intend to repair all of the evident damage to the body, can't decide whether I want to swap the rims, or just repaint the chrome bits on the factory ones to black. Also considering a KA24DE swap, seeing as her current engine is a bit shit and I might was well pick up a few horses if I'm going to swap it.

Unfortunately, according to Nebraska state law it is illegal to sell a vehicle to a minor without consent of their parent/guardian. Being a vehicle salesperson, my father was quite pissed off that I bought a vehicle without consulting him and thinks I overpaid for a bucket of shit, lol. So, he said he's either going to force the people I bought it from to return the cash and get the truck back, or I somehow pull 200 bucks out of my ass before Tuesday to cover insurance and titling it an he'll have them put the bill of sale in his name to make it legal. As much as it sucks balls that this truck is probably going to end up in a scrapyard seeing as Nebraska sees to be devoid of Datto lovers, but I would totally do it all over again just to own a Datto for a day!

my parents were pissed when I brought home my first 521. and my 2nd one, and they have no idea im picking up a 510 roller this weekend. if you really want something they cant stop you. and $200 aint bad my first truck had $700 dollars of back fees so keep on truckin

• Like 1

Unfortunately, according to Nebraska state law it is illegal to sell a vehicle to a minor without consent of their parent/guardian. Being a vehicle salesperson, my father was quite pissed off that I bought a vehicle without consulting him and thinks I overpaid for a bucket of shit, lol. So, he said he's either going to force the people I bought it from to return the cash and get the truck back, or I somehow pull 200 bucks out of my ass before Tuesday to cover insurance and titling it an he'll have them put the bill of sale in his name to make it legal. As much as it sucks balls that this truck is probably going to end up in a scrapyard seeing as Nebraska sees to be devoid of Datto lovers, but I would totally do it all over again just to own a Datto for a day!

I would check on that law. I can't see that at all. If you can earn a license you should be able to own your own vehicle.

Can't really see his reasoning here.  You're 16 and old enough for a license to drive. You're only talking $200 for cryin' out loud! Have a talk with him. Find out the real reason for his concern. Is it the Datsun? safety? he wasn't consulted about it?

For now have him give consent so you can 'own it'. Tell him you'll work on it until you are not a minor or the truck is 'safe'. Do you have a job to support this ownership?

I would check on that law. I can't see that at all. If you can earn a license you should be able to own your own vehicle.

Can't really see his reasoning here.  You're 16 and old enough for a license to drive. You're only talking $200 for cryin' out loud! Have a talk with him. Find out the real reason for his concern. Is it the Datsun? safety? he wasn't consulted about it?

For now have him give consent so you can 'own it'. Tell him you'll work on it until you are not a minor or the truck is 'safe'. Do you have a job to support this ownership?

"The problem is that a minor cannot legally enter into a contract until they reach the age of maturity. The age of maturity is typically 18 although some states regard this as being 21. Selling a car is a contractual agreement, even if cash is paid for the car up front it's still a contract. A minor is not allowed to enter into a contract which gives them the opportunity to void the contract whenever they want."

I have a job, the issue is that I drained my bank account dry buying the truck (sound logic, right?  :rofl: ). Frankly he's rather aggravated that I just left him in the dark about this whole matter and ran out and bought a truck without consulting him. He's also concerned that we'll get ticketed if the truck sits on our driveway unlicensed & w/o insurance.

Park the truck so the tags are not evident. Better yet get a car cover. It not only conceals the license plates it also looks neater.  Next objection dad?

Be nice. Ask him about his first car and what he did to get it. (maybe check with mom first, just in case) Tell him your dreams. (don't go overboard) Ask him what he thinks about you owning a vehicle but be ready to answer any concerns about it. I imagine safety is likely the biggest so down play stuffing a V8 into it, know what I mean?

Park the truck so the tags are not evident. Better yet get a car cover. It not only conceals the license plates it also looks neater.  Next objection dad?

Be nice. Ask him about his first car and what he did to get it. (maybe check with mom first, just in case) Tell him your dreams. (don't go overboard) Ask him what he thinks about you owning a vehicle but be ready to answer any concerns about it. I imagine safety is likely the biggest so down play stuffing a V8 into it, know what I mean?

Thanks for the ideas, hopefully I can hit a soft-spot of his, seeing as his first car was a 72' 240Z that he fixed up.

Bull's eye!!!!! Find out all you can about this first car from mom or family members that would know. Then talk him up about it. This will require some skill to do it right. Don't push, be calm and reasonable, you're just talking.

• Like 1

They seem to be superb, aside from the rust on the driver's side below the door. Hopefully this carries through below the vinyl as well.

If the floors are solid then it is technically not a rust bucket in the 620 world :)

Pretty sure wa state is the same way, can't own a vehicle until 18. At least that's what my buddy says about his daughters truck

I'd say the same thing lol. It is true though, you can't legally own a vehicle until your 18, which is stupid because you can get a license and a job at 16, both of which require signing a contract. :rolleyes:

I honestly think at this point I have the worst luck in the world, lol. The guy agreed to the 400 bucks my father offered, and they went inside to grab the 450 that wasn't part of the deal. In the two minutes they were inside the truck was stolen (they had left the door open w/ the key in). Filed a police report, so hopefully that turns up, seeing as the truck is loud as fuck (he had cut off the muffler because it was badly rusted and began to throw rust chunks out when driven), bright red, and most likely the only 620 that fits that description around here (if not the only 620 around here.)

• Like 1