Light blue 521 from California.. to England

Willdatsun

Was trying to buy this from a seller but I was really getting messed about, in the end a kind volunteer from here went and got it for me, (and got it $200 cheaper than I was offering directly!)  I guess some people don't like dealing overseas. blue521b.JPG

Anyways, all worked out good, truck made it to England and I trailered it back from the docks with my 1972 Nissan-powered Range Rover .

521blue6s.JPG

The 521's brakes were terrible (one had a compltetly seized cylinder, and the rear shoes were shot, plus I had to replace all the rubber brake hoses) . Wasn't too bad after that although engine and gearbox pretty tired out (low compression on one cyl, worn synchros on gearbox .. all simple stuff to fix. )

blue521-10.JPG

Great colour though, probably my favorite on 521. Did some other stuff like some electrical niggles and the truck passed its inspection and was registered . That makes .... TWO 521s on the road over here now. (Never actually sold here when new) I have a couple more 521s undergoing work but then they will be out there bringing the grand total to four!

• Like 2
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

The shippers were a nightmare, W*s* Co*st Shipping. They have managed to damage almost every vehicle they have shipped for me, then of course deny responsibility. Although one time, they stabbed a forklift fork right through one of my trucks and fessed up to it, but never actually paid me anything for the damage ! Other vehicles have had dented fuel tanks, floor pans, and damaged seats. Absolute bunch of monkeys. One container they loaded for me, I asked for photos or at least a diagram of how they had been loaded, so I knew what to have ready when it arrived, time is money for the transport company.

They sent me this, which looked like a 3 year old drew it.

containerdrawing1.gif

Not sure how I'm supposed to know which end the door is.. but I assumed they were on some kind of ramps... NO. When it arrived... they had surprised me, like some kind of joke..

they decided to suspend 2 cars from the ceiling, one of which was by the wheel nut studs. It was impossible to get the things off the ceiling, ended up hiring someone to come out with a special forklift, and had to pay for container lorry to stay overnight. Over a $1000 extra out of pocket.

container-volvo-s.jpg