Z22 engine build?

Thisolddatsun

Go propane and forget about flooding, fuel contamination(ethanol-dirt-moisture), complicated efi wiring. Rob propane setup off a donor fleet rig using similar displacement. Normally propane much cheaper per gallon as well....current $2.00gal gas prices are going to vanish soon.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard about propane from the website gotpropane.com I think. Thought about it but heard you miss out on alot of power and to balance that out use a turbo. Honestly wouldn't mind doing a turbo set up neither. And it would be a mix of rockcrawling mudding any type of offroading really. But propane will make it run at any angle. For sure if someone has done a simple efi set up I would be really interested to try it. Tires sticking out isnt a problem for me at all I got some custom fenders in mind to fab up. Really its for the easy access to cv axles, gear sets, and the stock 4link and coil spring set up with the c200 most v6 pathfinders come with. Really liking all the responds guys.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. And the whole turbo idea I have is just cause I want to do it sometime. Wether its a 4x4 or 2wd I think itd be fun. Wouldnt mind making one with some balls behind it. Some of the guys at the local fab/offroadshop said they just eliminate most the wiring harness besides the wires needed to run the ecu or a standalone system something like that I think. Really want to keep electronics to a minimum in the truck.

Heard about propane from the website gotpropane.com I think. Thought about it but heard you miss out on alot of power and to balance that out use a turbo. Honestly wouldn't mind doing a turbo set up neither. And it would be a mix of rockcrawling mudding any type of offroading really. But propane will make it run at any angle. For sure if someone has done a simple efi set up I would be really interested to try it. Tires sticking out isnt a problem for me at all I got some custom fenders in mind to fab up. Really its for the easy access to cv axles, gear sets, and the stock 4link and coil spring set up with the c200 most v6 pathfinders come with. Really liking all the responds guys.

All V6 WD 21 Pathfinders are H-233 axles and are 4.375 or 4.625. There was even LSDs for both. I have an H-233 LSD diff in my shed. 

The C200 was only used with the Z24i 4 cylinder, and only through '89.... have never seen one.

Thats right the H-233. I remember talking about it with you one time on a different thread. The lsd would be nice. Maybe a locker/spool up front if I can get. I just know that 1980-83 720s are interchangeable with 84+ nissans for the most part besides cv axles and a few other things. Also the newer nissans have more aftermarket parts atleast from what I have seen.

No.

An L head and an L series front timing cover is all you really need... however the L engine is normally leaning about 20 degrees to the pass side and this gives room on the driver's side for the manifolds. Unles you use L series mounts and an L transmission this isn't going to work well.

I've been under a Pathfinder and never noticed a frame. I'll check when I get home. Has a frame One thing for sure the D21 and WD21 are wider than the 720 so the wheels will stick out.

So if I was to do a L head I would need timing cover motor mounts and a transmission for it to work? I couldnt use what I already have? Or if I dont use those I have to figure out clearance issues?

You don't understand, the intake on the napZ motors is on the passenger side, so the engine is tilted towards the driverside, that lets the intake sit level, and clear all the inner fender sheet metal, if you took the Z head off, and put an L head on, and used the Z transmission and motor mounts, the intake would be on the driverside, it would not be  level, and you would likely have to cut the inner fender, also I doubt the carb would even work properly at that angle.

Now if you used the L block motor mounts on the Z block with the L head, but you used the Z transmission, you would not be able to mount the transmission in the rear, as the mount would be at a dramatic angle, and the shift lever would be tilted way over into the passenger seat as well, and even if you could get it to work, 5th gear would be way over half way to the passenger floor boards, if it was possible, then everyone would do it, but it just has to many issues.

So if I was to do a L head I would need timing cover motor mounts and a transmission for it to work? I couldnt use what I already have? Or if I dont use those I have to figure out clearance issues?

• Like 1

You don't understand, the intake on the napZ motors is on the passenger side, so the engine is tilted towards the driverside, that lets the intake sit level, and clear all the inner fender sheet metal, if you took the Z head off, and put an L head on, and used the Z transmission and motor mounts, the intake would not be on the driverside, it would not be level, and you would likely have to cut the inner fender, also I doubt the carb would even work properly at that angle.

Now if you used the L block motor mounts on the Z block with the L head, but you used the Z transmission, you would not be able to mount the transmission in the rear, as the mount would be at a dramatic angle, and the shift lever would be tilted way over into the passenger seat as well, and even if you could get it to work, 5th gear would be way over half way to the passenger floor boards, if it was possible, then everyone would do it, but it just has to many issues.

I take it thats why its mostly done with 620s and other L block cars/trucks?

I take it thats why its mostly done with 620s and other L block cars/trucks?

The LZ builds, yes, the Z22 block is bigger, so more power.

I edited my last post, I took out the word not, as using an L head on a Z block would put the intake on the driverside.

Have you read any of the LZ builds, there is more to it than just bolting a head on, the block also needs drilled.

Here is a link to my LZ build.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/31213-waynos-lz22/

sounds like you should just go with the z24 or go ka power. lz's are awesome and retain the old school ness and most of the wailability if built strong, a z24 will be better in the bush because it makes torque way lower than any l series.

keep it carbbed, youll roll a 720 or a pathfinder over before it floods. the KISS rule is good to have when your in the bush, somewhere where you shouldn't be.

sounds like you should just go with the z24 or go ka power. lz's are awesome and retain the old school ness and most of the wailability if built strong, a z24 will be better in the bush because it makes torque way lower than any l series.

keep it carbbed, youll roll a 720 or a pathfinder over before it floods. the KISS rule is good to have when your in the bush, somewhere where you shouldn't be.

I love the KISS in the woods! Haha

Go EFI they will run upside down.

The efi system may run upside down but good luck keeping fuel in the tank.....in close proximity to hot exhaust pipe/muffler. I think a well thought out propane set up would b simpler and more trouble free....and in the long run CHEAPER.

Not saying it will run very long like that, besides being upside down IS the larger problem. Thing is, it is immune to extreme tilting of the vehicle unlike the float on a carb.

I think I might end up doing a v6 build from a pathfinder. Found some guys that have a v6 pathfinder thats been built and they say it has about the same power as a small block. They did a cam header ecu and swapped to a vg33 block with vg30 heads. I happen to have a couple v6s in my front yard so I could Build it get it running right set up a standalone system and swap the v6+gas tank into my 720. Just sounds like itd be better to do.

Dude, vortec crawlers are the shit! I knew a dude that had a yota with a vortec and an atlas, you could put it in gear and let the clutch out, get out and burn one, drink a beer then take a 20ft walk to the truck. My other buddy had a vortec s10 4x4 that would smoke em in 4hi, fucking reliable and torquey as shit.

Dude, vortec crawlers are the shit! I knew a dude that had a yota with a vortec and an atlas, you could put it in gear and let the clutch out, get out and burn one, drink a beer then take a 20ft walk to the truck. My other buddy had a vortec s10 4x4 that would smoke em in 4hi, fucking reliable and torquey as shit.

Oh that I dont doubt the v6s are torque ballsy mofos. Just throwing ideas around wouldn't mind Modding a stock engine simpler to put in than doing a v6 and alot less time consuming.

Also does anyone know what the spark plug pattern is and where they go on the coil? Sounds stupid but Iv had problems with getting my timing right.

Go to Datsloco gig coming up....ask denmarkboy to pop hood. I think he will b there in the Road Dog(81kc). Itz a 2wd but all the stuff under hood same.

Go to Datsloco gig coming up....ask denmarkboy to pop hood. I think he will b there in the Road Dog(81kc). Itz a 2wd but all the stuff under hood same.

thats what I was thinking of doing never been to a meet before but sounds like some fun and i figured someone could help me out with the timing.

Also does anyone know what the spark plug pattern is and where they go on the coil? Sounds stupid but Iv had problems with getting my timing right.

One coil for intake one for exhaust. Really does not matter which is which as they both fire together anyway.

720timing002Large.jpg