E1 Oil Filter Gasket

deerio

Hey all, my '62 L320 has an E1 with the oil filter that is mounted upside down unlike the ones found on a J13. I did not find a gasket when I took it off and the new replacement filter comes with one. I tried to use it but I don't think the gasket will work with the mount. Any ideas if it's needed or not?

Here is how it looks without the filter housing. Notice the gasket groove.

41A643FF-03E8-41D6-9C46-94C896BBE1C5_zps

9457BF95-4B5F-4267-A75B-5389CA80526B_zps

And here is the filter housing mounted onto the motor. The metal housing seems to fit in that groove.

41D355A3-4773-49E9-83F8-D6067627EDF4_zps

B5538BAA-DC4B-4827-9564-BDAE5A084A99_zps

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a twist on filter? The container holds the filter and has a long bolt through it that you tighten???

Yes Mike it's exactly that, it's a metal filter container with a bolt going thru it that screws into the motor. However the earlier E1 motors appear to have it mount upside down (screw in from the bottom) unlike on the later E1 and J13 models. Looking into the service manual it looks like there is supposed to be a gasket between the filter/container and the motor. But if I were to use the gasket, it does not appear to create a proper seal. But with out the gasket seems to fit perfectly.