Better than a Volvo

DaBlist

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1200 coupe is own by Jeff Leclerc. He races with Willamette Motor Club, http://www.wmclub.org/autocross.shtml

Here are some photos I took at Maryhill, WA  at the Maryhill Hill Climb, Sept 6th and 7th 2014.

P9071255.jpg

P9071256.jpg

P9071254.jpg

P9071253.jpg

P9071272.jpg

Plexiglass windows rear and sides, well it's a race car. Jeff said after Maryhill he was removing the rotary engine and trans and the car would be for sale $3500.00-$4000.00

OK Y'all, them be the facts! Your job is to hunt down Mr. Leclerc

• Like 2

From Sept 2012 at McKay High School auto-X

P9161602.jpg

P9161600.jpg

That's all y'all! NO More!

This was my first auto-x with SMURF and that's Barry's blue 1200 coupe, A14 he raced Maryhill this year and left the course due to a burst heater hose. Very lucky, about 15ft down over the edge-NO photos, I was working the corner 2 station down the hill. Towing truck pulled him up, he started the car and took it down the hill, raced the next day.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

P9071253.jpg

The pivots, at the top end of the shocks, mounted to the gray horizontal bar running across the back of the car, attached to links that come up from the ends of the rear end housing. Notice that center link, or pinion snubber, runs forward to the multi-hole brackets for pinion angle adjustment. A 3 link suspension. Jeff did a lot of engineering, fabrication and welding to get this to work correctly.

Papa Smurf? I would come back with some witty retort, however I am saving my good conduct points for the slaying of the trolling ZEN...it's an exit strategy!

Matt, weight in the back of a 1200 isn't really a bad thing, switch to a 3 or 4 link rear end set-up would make air bags easy. A 210 rear suspension set-up would eliminate the need for a Watts link or Panhard bar, as it uses a triangle or tri-bar configuration. More than one 1200 guy has thought about this because of the adjust-ability of coil over springs and adjustable shocks.

As a personal point of ponder, what does a 510 IRS assembly weight? Minus the wheels and tires of course.

About 15 pounds more than the complete 1200 rear axle assembly, and about 10 pounds more than the B210 rear axle assembly. 

Sorry, but I don't recall the exact numbers, just the differences. 

datsunfreak, thank you for the info. It explains why such a rear-end swap is so desirable for a 1200 install, a great deal less of UN-sprung weight as well as the handling of IRS in small nimble car.

As far Volvo's, this my favorite- 1967 with LS1 engine and a whole lot of cool engineering.

There are other videos of this car but this practice one- well you"ll see.

Link

It explains why such a rear-end swap is so desirable for a 1200 install, a great deal less of UN-sprung weight as well as the handling of IRS in small nimble car.

I'll let you know in a few months whether it's actually better or not...   ^_^

On the track (super smooth)  I would wager you'd see almost no difference. Where IRS is really better than a leaf-sprung live axle is on a road surface that's less than perfect. And I'd also bet ride quality is improved.

Even though I did the IRS in my car, I think the 210's 4-link live axle is the best way to go for a 1200 that sees a lot of track/autocross duty. I mainly just wanted to be able to adjust the alignment settings to my liking. The reduction in unsprung weight is just a bonus.