Datsun Bluebird 610 grilles

Guest jaimesix

Guest jaimesix

I want to open a section where Datsun 610 Bluebird , ( known as 180B in UK and AU , and 610 in the US ) can share pictures of different grilles.

I am having some technical difficulties right now so I will post my pixes later on.

I posted this thread here because the Datsun 610 as we know it in the US is the Japanese Original "Datsun Bluebird 610".

It amazes me how many different grilles there are around the world, only Datsun/Nissan corporate files know the variations. There must be a catalog somewhere that shows each vehicle, world variations and deviations within variations:confused: Easy to feel beffudled.:mellow:

Let's make sure all 610/180B/Bluebird "Ologists" get to know the facts.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, I have seen a lot of grille variations myself, so I will post what I've got (and I think that if you've got the actual grille, a picture of it should be posted here) Dealer brochures are nice, but unless you've got a straight on shot of the grille, it doesn't really help anyone.

Here is the first contestant:

SedanGrille.jpg

I know this to be the "3 ribbed sedan grille" It is most commonly found on US market 1973 Datsun 610 sedans and station wagons. This came original on my 610, and I've grown up with it, but I know that compression has the grille I really want (tag, you're it!)

Contestant Number 2:

1974CoupeGrille.jpg

This would be the grille that was on my '73 610 parts car. I know it to be the "typical" coupe and sedan grille for post 1974 Datsun 610s. Note the areas are more pronounced at the bottom of the grille for the turn signal lights that are now above the infamous park bench bumpers. Also note the side markers that are part of the grille, as there is a difference. The other grilles similar to this have separately removable side marker lights. This grille can be easily removed and substituted with the SSS grille as they both have the side marker lights molded with the grille.

Guest jaimesix

Hi.

I have been having trouble with my picture collection at car domain. Something is going wrong, the ordered has been altered.....I am trying to find my pixes.

Here comes the first stuff I found.

Yes, Zerow's first picture is the grille that I have seen in US 610s pre 74.

Here is a picture of the grille 1974 and later 610sgot in the US.

2328429_257_full.jpg

Here grille on car. Datsun 610 1974

2328429_2_full.jpg

Here a variation of this US post 74 grille, look at the center area, although the grille looks similar and has the corner signal lamps/lenses, the center area/radiator area is not as deep /low.

Note post 74 non US 610s ( known as 180Bs ) implemented the US version fenders with signal lamps/lenses incorporated to them ( as opposed to pre 74, no signal light lenses/lamps ) but at the same time used the pre 74 valance which is taller/closer to the grille, and has a concave surface area to allow the bumper to fit within ( unlike post 74 bumpers in US cars which sat far away from car, valance has no convex surface, see orage Datsun 610/1974's valance )

So this non US Datsun 610/180B grille is a variation, smaller radiator area ( in height.)

2328429_263_full.jpg

Here another grille, hope you guys help me identify these.

2328429_260_full.jpg

2328429_261_full.jpg

2328429_262_full.jpg

Here we can see a Datsun Bluebirdstation wagon. This is a unique grille, never seen anything like this in US nor anywhere else but in Japan.

2328429_258_full.jpg

A look at the rear of this cool JDM Datsun Bluebird

2328429_259_full.jpg

I have to check my records and straighten it out.

OK Datsun Bluebird 610 "Ologists ...let's get busy identifying these grilles.

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Here another grille, hope you guys help me identify these

2328429_260_full.jpg

1973 Datsun 610 Sports Coupe. Not 2 door coupe, as the grille on a two door coupe would typically be the simpler "3 rib sedan grille" as shown in my previous post. This is the grille compression has (lucky ^%$*^%!) and what his sports coupe parts car has shown installed (per his website regarding his rebuild) Also note the trim that separates the headlights: it has a bend in the upper 10-15% of the overall height. The 1974 and later has a similar design, but it lays flat, no bend.

SSSGrille.jpg

The infamous SSS grille. I have heard of two variants of this grille, one with the side marker lights integrated, and one that looks as if the lights described were "hacked off" (possible jamiesix' picture #6 above (angle shot not good). This picture above leads me to suspect that this grille is post-1974. The pre-1973 does not have the turn signals integrated, as the pre-1973 would have the "arrowhead style" side marker lights. If this grille is to be implemented here stateside, it also requires the use of what we here in the US know to be post-1974 610 front fenders.

• Like 1
Guest jaimesix

Hi Zerow.

Yes, my favorite is the one that Compression has, same as the picture you just mentioned.

My second favorite is the one I am about to use, which is the same as you have, the pre 73 sedan and wagon.

The original one that came with my car , the 74 US grille, I do not like that one. Have you seen the overseas post 74 grille? Overseas the 610 changed for the same post 74 fenders we got here in US , but they kept use of the pre 74 valance, subsequently their signal lamps remained located on the bumper. 74 and later US 610s relocated the signal lamp over the valance, just under the grille. This created a space that shows as a longer radiator section in the post 74 grille US cars have. The overseas post 74 grille has a smaller radiator section.

Have you seen that Bluebird Wagon grille before???? Sweet. I wish I could find out how many grilles there exist. I am sure there must be some Bluebird FI hardtop SSS in Japan with another different, yet cool, perhaps the coolest grille of them all.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Have you seen that Bluebird Wagon grille before????

Nope, never before. I would have to look at my collection of pictures that I have accumulated over time to see if I ever had a photo to show that thing. Very unique, but if something ever happened to it, I would just cry. I am pleased with my sedan grille, albeit needs some restoration, that I will be undertaking shortly. I feel strongly that we have represented at least a majority of the grill types.

In australia that's the 76 model sss grill. Some come with a centre badge on that middle section to, think it's a D badge.

Thanks, fly510, for the reply. Its the worldwide replies that will tie up the loose ends on this thread. I had heard there was an emblem that goes center face of this grille. A nice grille, but I wouldn't swap in post-'74 fenders to get it.

SSSGrille.jpg

The infamous SSS grille. I have heard of two variants of this grille, one with the side marker lights integrated, and one that looks as if the lights described were "hacked off" (possible jamiesix' picture #6 above (angle shot not good). This picture above leads me to suspect that this grille is post-1974. The pre-1973 does not have the turn signals integrated, as the pre-1973 would have the "arrowhead style" side marker lights. If this grille is to be implemented here stateside, it also requires the use of what we here in the US know to be post-1974 610 front fenders.

i dont think the lights were "hacked off" i think there just like our us post 74 grills the 2 screws that hold the lenses on also hold the whole side marker assemblies onto the grill

This photo shows facelifted (74->) JDM SSS grille. Note the "B"-badge in the middle.

IMG_2424_.JPG

dude!!! to bad your in finland i would ask to buy that from you i think im the only 610 guy keeping his post 74 fenders and not looking for a set of 73's that thing would be beautiful on my car

i dont think the lights were "hacked off" i think there just like our us post 74 grills the 2 screws that hold the lenses on also hold the whole side marker assemblies onto the grill

Look closely: The trim wraps around at the top of the turn signal light assemblies. Would that just flap in the wind if the lights weren't integrated into the grille? The lenses remove separately, I'll give you that, but the actual bulb holders/reflectors are a part of this grille.

Guest jaimesix

Demitri's 610 has an SSS grille, but his markers are affixed to the fenders as in regular non SSS Datsun 610s/180Bs. I know that post 74 grilles and post 74 SSS grilles fit PRE 74 fenders, instead of the side markers, the grille meets the fenders, makes no difference. That being valid with the grilles I have seen, off course there could be other grilles I do not know about.

This is a picture of Demetri's car. It is a 610 , I believe it to be a 74. It has been fitted with 74 fenders and markers ( factory ), 73 apron/valance , 73 bumpers and bumper brackets.

The aprons/valances are identical in contour, the difference resides in a section that has been recessed to accept the bumper right behind the center section of said bumper, bumper which seats further inside the car on a 73, bumpers which rest far away from the valance in a 74 and later.

The bumper brackets are different, longer and shock fitted in 74 and later vehicles, unidimensional metal pieces in 73 and earlier rides.

I mention this fact because both valances work with both fender styles, which are also identical except for the marker lamps openings in the 74 and later editions.

Combinations are following:

*73 fenders + 74 apron and bumper works ( in case of finding 73 fenders but no valance.)

*74 fenders + 73 apron and bumper works ( in case of searching for the smaller bumper look & 74 markers)

*73 apron with 74 bumpers works.( very unusual, 73 apron looks best w/ 73 bumper)

*74 apron with 73 bumper can not work. ( Bumper would hit valance and would stick out. 73 Brackets might fit properly, custom brackets need be made, an Orange 610 at JCCS 06 is an example.)

not bolt on properly,

2328429_5_full.jpg

( anyone with better computer abilities feel free to zoom in details. :) )

It appears there are a few variants SSS grilles, need imput from any SSS grilled 610s/180Bs/BlueBird-Us

Since Mikko has one of those SSS grilles, perhaps he can illustrate what is the situation regarding the markers.

Mikko, are these side markers affixed to the SSS grille ? , or are they affixed to the fenders as in regular non SSS Datsun 610s/180Bs???

:confused::confuse Jaime._________________________________________

im looking at this pic

2328429_262_full.jpg

it has the same tab on it as the grill in my garage

IMAG0102.jpg

and this is how it all mounts

IMAG0103.jpg

is this the area your referring to? i have never seen one in person but in the first pic it looks to clean to have been cut off

and here is a shot of the grill in my garage its brand new for the most part

IMAG0101.jpg

appon closer insepction of the pic william provided im more confused then ever on the right side of the car it appears hes right and that the chrome trim follows the markers but on the same grill i noticed this

100_0383.jpg

the chrome trim doesnt line up as if it were 2 different peices in the section circled (i noticed it clearly once i opend it in photoshop and zoomed into 400%)i think the only real way to find out for sure is to get our hands on one anyone got one they wanna sell me :D

I promised to take some pics, so here they are. First showing facelift sedan grille (car is one of my parts donors) and second facelift SSS Hardtop grille. It's like JDM grille but no "B"-badge and instead of "SSS" it says "Datsun". (Maybe not the best picture but car was in a tight place.)

BTW, like Bonvo, I'm going to keep facelift grille & fenders. I'm going to use that JDM SSS grille.

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

• 1 month later...
Guest jaimesix
Hi....

Here another grille, hope you guys help me identify these.

2328429_260_full.jpg

Cool, I scored one of these grilles at e/bay. It is complete, no cracks, jjst a bit discolored. A good paint job will bring it back to glory.:)

Here we can see a Datsun Bluebirdstation wagon. This is a unique grille, never seen anything like this in US nor anywhere else but in Japan.

2328429_258_full.jpg

A look at the rear of this cool JDM Datsun Bluebird

2328429_259_full.jpg

I have to check my records and straighten it out.

OK Datsun Bluebird 610 "Ologists ...let's get busy identifying these grilles.

I am on the hunt for this grille, this one is a winner, very exclusive, never seen it before here nor around the world.:eek:

Cool, I scored one of these grilles at e/bay. It is complete, no cracks, jjst a bit discolored. A good paint job will bring it back to glory.:)

I am on the hunt for this grille, this one is a winner, very exclusive, never seen it before here nor around the world.:eek:

That grille will look great on your coupe!

Guest jaimesix
That grille will look great on your coupe!

I agree, but I still like the one I already have ready for my car, the sedan grille ( like yours ). I will make the sedan grille the maiden grille for the maiden voyage!!!

The coupe grille will have to be painted , that will be done later on. Yet it is great to have an option, once ready, I am one of those guys who wakes up one day and decides to change grilles just for fun.

About the wagon grille on previous photos, a friend of mine tells me that the aforementioned grille was used in Japan ( JDM ) for the lesser fancy Datsun 610 BlueBird models. It was a metal grille, not a plastic one.

Even if it was meant to be a lower class 610 grille, it's condition of exclusivity and it's uniqueness, at least outside Japan, makes it a very much coveted item for any Datsun conosseur, much more a Datsun Bluebird 610/180B guy!

Happy Thanks Giving!!!