1985 4x4 kc st resto

280zex

First off I'm a huge Nissan lover so this resto will be easy enough, second the 4x4 I just got is in good condition. This will be my first nissan 4x4!

The truck- 1985 4x4 king cab st, 240,000 miles, 2nd owner ;-) The engine is tired and makes a lot of rattles upon start. The 5 speead trans makes ugly noises ;-( So I just picked up a 1985 short cab low rider for parts.

The plan is to pull the engine and trans out of the 4x4 and strip for parts, has weber carb swap. Then clean that nasty greasy engine bay. After getting a bath its time for a complete check up.

Then its time to strip the low rider for parts!! It has a nice set of Honda prelude seats, they will look nice in the 4x4!

The real question is it worth the $$ to replace the auto 4x4 hubs for manual warn hubs?? From some searching the innerwebz the warns are about 250$. I don't plan on any hard core off road stuff so I assume that the auto hubs will work, but require more maintainance.

Over all this should be an easy and fun project for me. I'm looking forward to my first nissan 4x4 project. Up to this all my other 720's were regular cab low riders. Now its time to get my ass off the ground!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply. I have checked through the front hubs and they seem to be in good condition.

Over the weekend the hydrolics for the clutch leaked out. There was a horrible racket coming from the front of the trans when I parked it. I figured maybe both front bearings/throw bearing/clutch are shot. I will know more when I pull the engine and trans. This will give me the opportunity to do some degreasing of the front diff area as well.

Still need to check u-joints and perform drain and refill of the diffs/transfer case.

The brake system is good and the electrical system checks out OK as well.

The drivers side door and lower hinge is toast ;-( I do have a parts truck, unfortunately that door has a nasty dent!!!!

Its a good thing you said don't get the eBay hinges, I was just looking at them!!

I do know about the gl-4 gear oil. Had to learn about that one the hard way ;-( however the new 240sx trans with short shifter in the 280zt is awesome!!!!!!! I may even go this route with the 4x4 ;-)