GX aircleaner mission

Swedishcadillac

I have an A12 motor with GX head and twin Hitachi/SU carbs. I would like to get my hands on a stock GX air cleaner. But it seems they are rather rare. Are there any other Datsun model aircleaners that are compatible? I see a lot of 280Z ones on eBay but just wondering about centerline carb dimensions...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The roadster is most closely sized. You would have to cut out the original mounting surface along with the built in v.stacks and weld in a new mounting face. Redrill the appropriate holes.

The new flat surface will mate up to the carbs and allow you to sandwich it between the carbs and velocity stacks if you should choose to use them.

I have all the same parts and will tear into it this winter. Let's see some pictures if you go through with it.

As for the filter, you can buy a traditional round filter and squeeze it into an oval to fit.

If you find the housing, hopefully it comes with the studs (wing bolts) that hold it on.  They are impossible to find.  I had one fall off and looked for over a year with no luck.  I finally found a 240z in the junkyard, and took those.  They are oversized, and I had to machine them down to 6mm and shorten them to make them work.

The filters are really tough to find, too.  I bought the one listed above.  The 510 filter does NOT fit the GX housing, unfortunately.

Thanks guys! probably will wait till I have the engine in the car to decide. I have a header and switched to a dual master in a tiny engine compartment as well... Gonna be tight.