Toyota 5 lug axle on a datsun620

DATSUN671

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolt on directly, not likely.

The Toyota axles are usually more narrow than the Datsun/Nissan axles.  I say usually due to being more familiar with 720's and D21's.

I know on my D21/Hardbody the spring pads are approximately 3/4" narrower than the factory axle.  This is measured from center of locating pin to center of locating pin.

It is why it is common that 4 bar with airbags or other styles of suspension swaps are commonly done at the same time as the axle swap.

My plan, due to wanting a static drop only on my sons D21, is to weld on new plates made of 3/8" material to the axle spring pads with the locating pin hole offset to fit the Nissan leaf springs.

Then there is the driveshaft issue to deal with, so I have the Toyota driveshaft to make a hybrid driveshaft to mate the 2 together; Nissan front half / Toyota rear half.

EDIT:  After reading Mike's post I thought I should clarify, I was referring to 2wd rear axles being swapped.  But, in relation to 4wd, most front track widths are wider than the rear, so it would be safe to say most axles would follow in fronts being wider.

I assume this is because you can't find a replacement? I have never understood switching to 5 bolt from six. No advantage. Rim choice? There's every chev, ford, toyota, trooper, mazda, Nissan, and 8 or 9 others with factory mags, and what not, in six bolt to choose from.

Will it fit?... no. Can you make it fit and work... sure. The early 80 'Yoda axle is wider than the 620 by maybe an inch a side. At least my front axle is wider than my rear 620 axle. Weld new perches to match the 620 frame.