1981 210(b310) neutral safety switch bypass

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently wrapping up a manual to auto swap on a 210 that was started by the previous owner (blownb310), now everything is in place but i need to tie up the neutral safety switch in order to get her to turn over.... and  that's where i have run into an issue.  i have the portion of the harness that should have run to the old automatic transmission, but i am unsure which wires need to be bridged.  i have both a 79 and 80 shop manual that have both proved useless thus far.  i have a picture of the harness but am unable to upload it

I'm currently wrapping up a manual to auto swap on a 210 that was started by the previous owner (blownb310), now everything is in place but i need to tie up the neutral safety switch in order to get her to turn over.... and  that's where i have run into an issue.  i have the portion of the harness that should have run to the old automatic transmission, but i am unsure which wires need to be bridged.  i have both a 79 and 80 shop manual that have both proved useless thus far.  i have a picture of the harness but am unable to upload it

I think you mean the other way round.

The automatic has a switch that only allow the starter to operate in PARK and NEUTRAL. It also contains the back up lamp switch.

Usually the back up switch wires are both Red/Black stripe and the interlock wires are White/Black and Black/White. Yours may be different but if you can isolate the back up lamps then the other pair must be the interlock. Just join together... securely. Preferably soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing. You don't want this to corrode and break and leave you stranded somewhere.

yeah my bad, auto to manual.  this is what i believe to be the former auto transmission harness, traced the reverse lamps to a green/red and a red/black from what i remember last night.

Im also rather confused by what the last 3 wires are on this harness?  perhaps i have the wrong on but i don't believe so?

• 2 weeks later...

so i figured out the wires via an online, had to replace the starter because it was worn ( never buy a duralast starter for the A series, i had t grind it down a bunch to clear the block)  okay so getting to my point, she turns over really well now, but wont start for me, its really cold here so i didn't know if there was any tips/tricks for first start in cold on a carbed car?  tried starter fluid, pumping the gas... she wants to start but wont stay running... if it helps i have duel side draft dellortos and open header right now, havent gotten the exhuast on yet.

thankyou

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not real familiar with the Del's but I would start with getting the choke(s) to richen up.......sounds like it's just starving for fuel when cold :D

--Ray