head gasket sealant

Ryan Family 510

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no.

If you use a factory head gasket, which I only do and I highly recommend, then you don't need to use any copper coat.

If you use a cheap aftermarket gasket, then yes, use copper coat.

There is a distinction though. A factory gasket is graphite coated, some aftermarket (most I suspect) are not coated. Use the copper coat on non-graphite coated gaskets.

• Like 1

If you don't trust your own work then go ahead you'll feel better. I caution the use of sealers as some numb nuts will slather RTV on with a butter knife 'cause they see chevy owners doing it. If a little works, then more will work better.

Nissan put the fresh heads and blocks together without it. You have a fresh head and block so.....

my gut says don't use it.  I'm a virgin and want to make a good first impression!!!!  You know that kind of pressure!  

So I am going without extra protection on this one.

If you are still interested in adding advice, feel free to go to my project page (The new guy).  Have a cam sprocket timing question.

Again, the virgin just wants to be confident.  So far so good.  I'm reading and reading and reading and I don't think I qualify as a chevy guy.  So I should be good.

P.S. we just finished Breaking Bad.  I get it!