ZiggyMonstah

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

521 wiring diagram.

521wires.jpg

There is a possibility the reverse light switch on the transmission is bad, if you get the turn signals working, and still have no reverse light.

The four way flasher switch interrupts power to the turn signals.  Do the four way flashers work?  If not fix that first.

Lights only wiring.

LightWires.jpg

• Like 1

The four way flasher system feeds flashing, or blinking power into the two turn signal circuits right after the turn signal switch, on the steering column.   If all four turn signals work, and the indicator lights on the combo meter also work, with the four way flasher, you can assume wiring is probably good from that point to the lights. 

With the key on, engine does not need to be running, you should have power on one wire going to the turn signal flasher.  Check that.

If the four way flashers work, and you have power going to the turn signal switch, about the only part left not working is the turn signal switch itself.   The switch is not sealed, and dirt can build up in it.

There are five wires going to the turn signal switch.  The colors of wires are the colors on the truck side of the turn signal switch plug.

I think the white wire on the turn signal switch, gets power from the turn signal flasher.  That is a separate wire from the plug.

I cannot read the colors on the wiring diagram, accurately, but this is the function of the four remaining wires.

One wire grounds the horn relay.  This makes the horn honk.  I do not think the key has to be on.

Second wire grounds the headlight relay, this switches the headlights to high beam, if the headlights are on.

Third wire is right or left turn lights.

Fourth wire is left or right turn lights.

The four way flasher system feeds flashing, or blinking power into the two turn signal circuits right after the turn signal switch, on the steering column.   If all four turn signals work, and the indicator lights on the combo meter also work, with the four way flasher, you can assume wiring is probably good from that point to the lights. 

With the key on, engine does not need to be running, you should have power on one wire going to the turn signal flasher.  Check that.

If the four way flashers work, and you have power going to the turn signal switch, about the only part left not working is the turn signal switch itself.   The switch is not sealed, and dirt can build up in it.

There are five wires going to the turn signal switch.  The colors of wires are the colors on the truck side of the turn signal switch plug.

I think the white wire on the turn signal switch, gets power from the turn signal flasher.  That is a separate wire from the plug.

I cannot read the colors on the wiring diagram, accurately, but this is the function of the four remaining wires.

One wire grounds the horn relay.  This makes the horn honk.  I do not think the key has to be on.

Second wire grounds the headlight relay, this switches the headlights to high beam, if the headlights are on.

Third wire is right or left turn lights.

Fourth wire is left or right turn lights.

On my truck, I just checked.  I got 12.35 volts. I have the old mechanical flasher in my truck.

Check the voltage at the turn signal flasher, then at the four way flasher switch.

See post 62, on this page:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/page-4

It shows you how to back probe an electrical connection, to check for voltage without having to take the connector apart.

The three fuses closest to the center of the truck are fed directly from the battery.  The ignition switch is also fed directly from the battery.

The other three fuses are fed through the ignition switch.  Lets follow the electricity around a little.

From the battery positive, to the fuse box.  Then a white wire goes into the cab, by the glovebox.  There is a connector there.  Then across the dash, another connector. on the ignition switch, and back across the dashboard, through another connector by the glovebox, and back to the fusebox. Then through a fuse, there are another four connections just at the fusebox.  Then the electricity goes back in to the cab, through another connector by the glove box, the four way flasher switch, and finally gets to the turn signal flasher.

Any one of these connections could be not making good contact.  This is a 44 year old truck.  Sometimes, if the connectors ever get wet, they will corrode, and make poor contact.

Many times taking a connector apart, and putting it back together, will clean oxidation off the contacts, and they will work again.

"Blinker only work when I take out the wires that's connected to the carb but then truck won't idle."

This tells me there is a poor connection somewhere.  The turn signals are voltage dependent. 

When the carb solenoid is hooked up, the additional current it draws through the circuit causes the voltage in the whole circuit to drop.

Check the voltage at both sides of the fuses in the fuse box.

• 4 months later...

this is an old post, however I'm having issues with the reverse light.  my blinkers work, but no backup light.

"There is a possibility the reverse light switch on the transmission is bad, if you get the turn signals working, and still have no reverse light."

Where do I find this?

thank you

this is an old post, however I'm having issues with the reverse light.  my blinkers work, but no backup light.

"There is a possibility the reverse light switch on the transmission is bad, if you get the turn signals working, and still have no reverse light."

Where do I find this?

thank you

First thing I would do is make sure you have power to the lights, put it in reverse and check the wire/contact for power.

Another thing I would need to know is if you still are using the external voltage regulator, or did you convert over to an internally regulated alternator?

The reverse light switch on the transmission is the lowest switch, and has two red wires, with a black strip on it.  One of the red with black stripe wires is hot, when the key is on.  The other red with a black stripe wire goes to the reverse lights.

Never trust a glass fuse that looks good.  The fuse element is just soldered to the end caps, and if the fuse gets hot, it unsolderes the fuse element without any visible damage.