KA24DE head on L20B timing chain info

datsun 160J SSS

Hi. I have looked all over the internet for what has been used to convert the KA24DE head to Datsun L20B block .I know it's been done but when it comes down to the detail it's never divulge what chain and gears are used .please can someone let in on the black magic .Anyone make the crank gear that fits the Datsun crank ???

Thanks Guy's

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure the DOHC head will work.

Single on a Z block...Sure.

Believable.

Why wouldn't you just the full KA?

I think also knowing which way you go will change how successful this will be.

Truck or car?

Ignition system using? Crank angle sensor?

Carbed? FI? OE or MegaSquirt?

Lots of homework to do when doing anything custom with the DE.

I don't think there is a timing chain 'kit' for this as it's a jig saw of unrelated parts. You will have to maybe get a longer Z24 chain and shorten it to fit the KA24E. The DE was done in Oz I think, probably using the single link chain. The KA-E could probably use the dual link chain and L or Z cam sprockets.

This is very interesting.

Gain? Well on a 2 liter L20B it would be the ultimate breathing head on the cheap. Also on the LZ hybrid engines. Lighter blocks and crank and the L20B can rev. I suppose if you can figure this out on an L20B it would fit the smaller L16/18 as well.

True the KA is already there and has lots of support but perhaps in a racing event that limits engine size?

Wanting to put a KA head on is no different than wanting to put an L head on a Z22 or Z24. Is that worth it? Surely the KA head (DE or even the E) has superior breathing. It's cross flow design and multi valve and ideal for a turbo. I like the idea and win or loose would like to see the results.

The general rule is, the more air you can move through an engine the more power you make. The easiest way to increase the air flow (other than displacement) is to simply rev it higher. If you have unlimited air flow doubling the RPMs will double the H. P..

The problem then becomes the bottom end and how to keep the engine alive above 6 and 7K. 

The machine shop that built that probably weighs the $100. dollar bills it would cost to recreate that thing,,  as counting them would take to long..  Please,, this is like saying i wanna top fuel dragster motor for my 55 ford pickup,,, do you know who sells the oil pans... Oh and i've got a cost limit of $173.64    :rofl:  .  

Pistons that were made just for that engine

Piston_top.jpg

Custom billet crankshaft made just for that engine

Billet_crank1.jpg

• Like 1

That's what am talking about 300+ with boost . keep in mind am looking to build a motor with off the shelf parts maybe not 300 hp but I would like to find what will fit does not need to be a big valve head or one off crank

I respect the gumption man, but getting even 250hp out of an L block requires some pretty fancy shit, Ask people like Dave Rebello, Troy Ermish, or Keith Law, aka butrvorgn.

The only thing anyone will see will be that fat KA head. All romance aside the L is stout, but it's not the best platform to make a budget high horsepower motor with. If you are the only one who will know what's under the head... what's the point?