Police armed with camber gauges...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The evolution... or should we say de-evolution of Camber as Cool. Here's the thought process behind this phenomenon; Lowriders are cool, I want to lower my VW bug so I can be cool too. Holy shit, look what it did to my wheel. Oh well, this is the price I must pay to be low and therefore cool. Kid in a Honda Civic sees the dub roll by; Holy shit, look what that VW's wheels are doing. I want to be cool like him, because massive camber is cool. An interesting thing to note here. This idea of massive camber as cool simply stems from an otherwise unwanted byproduct of slamming certain cars with independent rear suspensions. aka the tail wagging the dog.

Good, that shits frickin stupid anyways. Automakers spend a shitload of time using really espensive machines, to get every little thing right so your car can handle well.Then someone takes the vehicle that far from it's original design, it's going to handle like crap. And not just crap for the driver, but dangerous for the rest of the driving community. A little camber on a street car is fine, and a little more on a track car is fine, but this shit on the streets needs to stop.

The evolution... or should we say de-evolution of Camber as Cool. Here's the thought process behind this phenomenon; Lowriders are cool, I want to lower my VW bug so I can be cool too. Holy shit, look what it did to my wheel. Oh well, this is the price I must pay to be low and therefore cool. Kid in a Honda Civic sees the dub roll by; Holy shit, look what that VW's wheels are doing. I want to be cool like him, because massive camber is cool. An interesting thing to note here. This idea of massive camber as cool simply stems from an otherwise unwanted byproduct of slamming certain cars with independent rear suspensions. aka the tail wagging the dog.

it's the swing axle cars that are really goofy when dropped, the irs cars (after 68) you can drop down without it being too bad and many guys go way out of their way to not have neg camber. Of course, on the front of a beam car, the only way you're going to get goofy camber from lowering it would be if you have something bent. Yeah, I'm old and all, but I just can't see how having a car that looks busted is cool, then again, when I was in school, only the special ed kids had a flat bill on their hat, because they got it off the shelf and shoved it on their mellon, without knowing any better.

• Like 1

i remember when i was a little kid,  my older brother drove a 4door 57 chevy 210 (painted Weyerhaeuser yellow as my dad knew a guy in the paint shop)  that had to be jacked up 3-4 feet in the air to fit the Posi-trac 60 series polyesters,,, bro.. That thing used to literally bounce down the hiway .. He and his friends all did it ,, most of them lived .

I think like it or hate it it boils down to,, everybody has got their own trip ,, i would rather the kids today learn to drive a crazy ass hoopty ,, than be a what is considered normal and never enjoy being weird .

• Like 2

I think drag cars went through a short period of having the front ends like a foot higher than the rear. Street cars in my town like that were a dime a dozen. I think the idea was weight transfer to the back on hard launches. The trouble was it made the car very unstable. By the time I was driving it had reversed and a shackle kit to raise the rear was the 'in' thing along with 'wide oval' tires on chrome reverse rims.

• Like 1

I think like it or hate it it boils down to,, everybody has got their own trip ,, i would rather the kids today learn to drive a crazy ass hoopty ,, than be a what is considered normal and never enjoy being weird .

I support Weird>Normal any day. Theme of my life actually.

I would rether my kids drive a car that was show>go. Simply because I know what I did with a fast car. That was way more dangerous than a camber monkey clown car that can't get out of it's own way.

• Like 1

By the time I was driving it had reversed and a shackle kit to raise the rear was the 'in' thing along with 'wide oval' tires on chrome reverse rims.

That was the end i was referring too,, i think my brother had at least 6 inch shackles,,,,,, at least... and air shocks from hell .  :rofl: