Police armed with camber gauges...

To me, the car is our property, and should be allowed to change it how you see fit as long as it remains functional and not dangerous to others on the road. i want to cut my roof off, i should, no bumpers, i should.  Damages my car more. 

"Stupid is as stupid does", Forrest Gump.  Extreme camber makes the vehicle "squirrely" in handling increasing the chance of going out of control in sudden stop or "damned fool cutting in front of you" just before the red light.  No bumper may well make your vehicle scrap in case of a collision, but what about the damage to the poor fool who's trunk you just ate or the idiot too close follower who now lives in your back seat and what is left of your trunk?  any way, the replacement tire shops REALLY appreciate hellaflush cars.

Additional input.  Most vehicles today are unibody.  The entire vehicle structure is computed into the structural integrity equation.  Cutting off the roof results in a vehicle with noticible sag between the front and rear wheels.   It also puts a strain on what little is left of the scant remaining structural integrity of the vehicle.  Your self proclaimed "right" to do whatever dumb modifications that a fifth of Jack Daniels results in seeming OK to you will result in either your, your passenger, or someone in the vehicle you collide with being in the morgue, not the ER.

• Like 6
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the car is our property, and should be allowed to change it how you see fit as long as it remains functional and not dangerous to others on the road. i want to cut my roof off, i should, no bumpers, i should.  Damages my car more. 

And who defines if it's dangerous?  Unless you've submitted detailed engineering for every modification and had it verified by a reputable outside source, there's no way to know if it's really safe.  A lot of these mods aren't too different in safety from "hold my beer and watch this". 

^^

But this said,What if they come after our mildly well done modification.

The boundaries they set,In time will compel only one thing.Prius

Again, how do you define a "Well done modification"?  That's why many jurisdictions have laws against modifications, or at least modifications without full approved engineering done.  Just because you or I think it's done well doesn't mean it is.

It's not just the idiot owner who ends up paying the price for stupid modifications.  How about the passengers that get killed or seriously hurt in one of these modified deathtraps?  If that passenger had no idea what kind of mess they were stepping into?  Most won't, unless they were part of the "build" process.    I wouldn't expect a girlfriend to understand that the cool custom convertible could fold in half if it hit a bump wrong.  Or that the suspension mods that "look cool" actually make a car handle far worse in normal street driving.  Or that the shaved door handles means rescuers can't get the doors open in a wreck when she's unconscious and the car's on fire after the driver rear-ended a pickup, and the lack of a bumper caused the bodywork to sever the fuel line.

• Like 1

What is safe, well now one would think that would be determined by what is actually safe, but that is not how it will be determined, money will determine what is safe, and I am not talking about how much you the owner pays either, I am talking about how much money the powers in control of us will make, if your driving a new car every 5 years that costs $25,000 to $30,000 lots of folks make money and continue to stay rich and get richer, now if you keep fixing an old car they are not making money, so the best way to fix that issue is to determine that the old car you keep fixing is unsafe by the standards of that day and to not allow it to be licensed for the road any more without safety inspections, this is where a 3rd party comes in as a buffer, they will license automobile safety stations to inspect the cars and then give them a set of standards to go by, now they make these standards in secret in such a way as to maximize profits in the end for themselves like the pharmaceutical industry did for medicines that people need, like cholesterol medicines that cause an issue with the heart, you need to take another pill to cover that, well that pill will not be in your package with the cholesterol medicine, it will be in another package, so you will have to pay full price for that pill, I am just trying to make everyone understand how this country works, it's all about money and how these folks get it out of your wallet, so now I am back to the 3rd party buffer, the powers in control do not want you blaming them for your car being removed from the road, so the automobile safety stations and the people running them will be blamed by most, but in reality it's not their fault, it's the powers in control of us that are the issue, and if you ask me who these powers are that are in control, I will just shake my head and know that I am looking at.................

The only way I see to keep an older vehicle on the road is to license it as a classic with classic plates, and there will be a day when your driving that classic and the cops will stop you and ask you what classic vehicle function you are going to or coming from, and if it even looks like you might be lying, your vehicle will be towed, and if you cannot prove that you were actually going to or from a classic vehicle function in traffic court, it will be crushed and sold for metal, as driving a vehicle is not a right, it's a privilege.

I tried to watch the video,what i could watch was difficult.I didnt see much police harassment.What i did see was a reason for the police to be there,it wasnt about the cars.It was about the douchebags driving them.If that shitshow showed up in my town i would sure as hell would want the cops all over it.

• Like 3

It's funny how many people are biased toward police. A lot of them have never once had a confrontation with the police, but because their friends dads cousins brother-in-law that knows a guy, got, let's say a ticket for being too low, then this person with no history of police contact, suddenly hates the police, thinks they're pigs, wishes they would leave them alone, and calls them names when someone else is being confronted for a legitimate reason. If you don't give police a reason to pull you over, they generally won't. In a 33 minute video, I saw one car being towed, one attempted to be towed, and several being issued citations, all for things that can pose a problem. If people behaved themselves and didn't do stupid things, they'd pass by with no problems.

• Like 2

Do you have a department of transportation down there? They drive the highways and pull over and check truck drivers rigs. Are they maintained properly and regularly? Properly and safely loaded? Are the tires and brakes working, is the truck over loaded? Has the driver had only 2 hours rest in the last 24? All this is taken for granted when you use and share the road with semis on them.

Well cars are more or less left to themselves so it's up to the cops to enforce what laws there are for the greater good. If you don't want trouble stay away from dick head people with dick head attitudes and dick head car mods or you'll get profiled.

• Like 3

It's not just the idiot owner who ends up paying the price for stupid modifications.  How about the passengers that get killed or seriously hurt in one of these modified deathtraps?  If that passenger had no idea what kind of mess they were stepping into?  Most won't, unless they were part of the "build" process.    I wouldn't expect a girlfriend to understand that the cool custom convertible could fold in half if it hit a bump wrong.  Or that the suspension mods that "look cool" actually make a car handle far worse in normal street driving.  Or that the shaved door handles means rescuers can't get the doors open in a wreck when she's unconscious and the car's on fire after the driver rear-ended a pickup, and the lack of a bumper caused the bodywork to sever the fuel line.

Thats the tough part, But given the time.They will try to get all older vehicles off the road, Here and there.

They want the money makers(the prius crowd) For the eternal revenue made from them

Well cars are more or less left to themselves so it's up to the cops to enforce what laws there are for the greater good. If you don't want trouble stay away from dick head people with dick head attitudes and dick head car mods or you'll get profiled.

BC used to have a yearly automobile mechanical inspection (years ago)

It was mandatory, In a way it should be done again,but forget having collar locks, wider tires etc

Says the guy that drives an Ford explorer SUV..

:rofl: :rofl:

Personally I would rather share the road,with someone who knows cars(per say)

Than some twit,in a suv/prius that tells them to use the brakes now,or spill the latte

Off to drive my modified datsun now I am :w00t:

• Like 1

[sarcasm]I'm just thankful that our nation is so peaceful & untroubled that our police have all this free time to take care of great threats to our freedom such as this.[/sarcasm]

(did I mention we had a terrori.....I mean "workplace violence" beheading about 45 minutes from my house this week?)

also, given the trigger happy nature of Johnny Law these days how long will it be before Officer Phuctard put six rounds of .40 S&W into some tuner kid who didn't crank his hoopty back up quick enough?

this is harassment, it's profiling, it's a waste of tax dollars - I hate idiocracy like this!

Well no matter what do what your told by the police and you wont get 6 lugs put in you for not listening.Deal with the problem later not right there.

But i am not saying I disagree with what your saying.

1425629_10154644910715534_32011649790351

I am not a fan of the "stance" "scene" at all (posers/attention douches)... nor am I a fan of most traffic police (revenuers), but this kind of policing scares me.  I've read the horror stories and happenings going on in Australia ('Straya!!) and I definitely do NOT want that to happen here.  But it is, in Ocean City, MD.

Take a look at this video: **WARNING: massive amounts of stupidity**

You can see the event and others like it attract a huge amount of people, unfortunately the amount of stupidity of attendees is also on the rise.  Thus the cops reaction... or over reaction in this case.  They are starting to ticket people for "intent to make noise".  Both parties are getting out of control.

-Robert

That video has actually some cool ass cars and not all of them are hellastupided out.And the dressing up like a horse well you can get that at the inland empire Datsun meet at the end with the raffle.

• Like 1

Mike this tire is designed by and for herrafrush idiots, real engineering probably wasn't thought of

Obviously. This is what happens to "compartalism" when it progresses from DOD programs to the would be "common sense should prevail" world. It is NOT sufficient to address the immediate obvious demands of a limited [in numbers or sanity] group of customers! The responsible [if any still exist] manufacturer should consider the intended use, and consult the corporate law firm, to determine what "cautionary" warnings or even side wall markings to add to the product line. E.G. for sale and use on properly aligned vehicles and for passenger use only. Not a lawyer [thank God] just someone who cares!

When conventional vehicle manufacturers decide to make a convertible version out of one of their sedans or coupes, the first thing is to re-engineer the chassis and passencer compartment structurak bracing, That's why present day manufacturer or manufacturer authorized convertible are heavier than the corresponding source vehicle. None, and I repeat NONE of the garage butchered "conversions" would ever pass a Federally sanctioned proof of safety review. Buy one of these butchered vehicles if you want to, but don't pay more than the scrap value of the sheet metal parts, the main body structure is a disadter waiting to happen. Ever hear of "hood shake" on modern day manufacted convertables? Read Road and Track.