LZ21 compression ratio?

kelowg

Wondering what u guys thoughts r on what c/r this might be. Pings at anything more than 3-5 degrees adv with 91 oct. Adding head gasket spacer help with this?

Bore size: 87.75mm (Z22E bored out .75mm)

Stroke: 86mm (L20b crank)

Headgasket bore: 88mm (that's a guess; I just figure it's gonna be 1mm over the stock bore)

Combustion chamber volume: 45cc (A87 open chambered head)

Piston dish volume: -9.32cc (stock Z22e pistons, but they are shaved down a bit, so this might be a little less)

Deck clearance: .2mm over deck (shaved down from .4mm)

Shadbolt cam m445

Electronic distributor.

Weber 32/36

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering what u guys thoughts r on what c/r this might be. Pings at anything more than 3-5 degrees adv with 91 oct. Adding head gasket spacer help with this?

Bore size: 87.75mm (Z22E bored out .75mm)

Stroke: 86mm (L20b crank)

Headgasket bore: 88mm (that's a guess; I just figure it's gonna be 1mm over the stock bore)

Combustion chamber volume: 45cc (A87 open chambered head)

Piston dish volume: -9.32cc (stock Z22e pistons, but they are shaved down a bit, so this might be a little less)

Deck clearance: .2mm over deck (shaved down from .4mm)

Shadbolt cam m445

Electronic distributor.

Weber 32/36

You don't mention but likely have the 152.5mm Z20E rods and the late Z22 pistons that are 32.1mm tall.

crank.......... 43 mm

piston......... 32.1mm

rod........... 152.5mm

total.......... 227.6mm

The L20B block height is 227.45mm, so those pistons are well under the 0.3mm recommended max. deck height and do not need shaving. Unless the block was decked, that is.

Also the late Z22E piston dish is unknown to me. Did you cc them or is this just assuming the early and late Z22E pistons are the same? (I have no idea)

From the info submitted using a 1.2mm crushed gasket thickness, the 9.32 (assumed) dish and a zero deck height (also assumed) I get only 9.421 compression.

Pinging is basically the heat of compression setting off the fuel air mixture before the spark timing does. It can also be caused by any other heat source such as the wrong heat range spark plug, glowing carbon deposits a sharp edge in the combustion chamber and running too lean a mixture.

Keep in mind the compression may be higher than calculated from incorrect info submitted.

Higher compression will always need less ignition advance because the burn time is shorter. Three to five degrees may be where the engine needs and wants to run.

L20B and Z22 blocks are essentially identical, only the cylinder walls are different to allow a wider bore.

2 heat ranges cooler,but this z22e block not l20. this motor came to me running. Runs good but with more advanve it pulls bit better. Just seems like is not at its full protential.

Perhaps needs richer mixture at WOT?

I think 12 would be better for full throttle. The extra gas cools the intake air and the hot combustion chamber by evaporation. It's like adding octane. If you can adjust it to low 12s but keep the 14 or so part throttle cruise the mileage won't suffer.