Da BUMPIN aint BUMPIN

findmuck

So I wired up my radio last night and simply did 12V straight to a fuse in the fuse box, Memory straight to positive terminal and grounded the headunit to an interior metal part of the car. When I turn up the volume to 40 out of 20, when the car is off, the radio is normal and the speakers work fine. But when I turn the volume past 20 and the car is on the speakers start to pop and screech all strange. The headunit is a crappy ebay one and the the speakers are alpine (Came with car). My moms boyfriend told me that the popping I hear is from the alternator interfering because there is no electronic resistor or something from the battery to the headunit. I tried powering both by the fuse and then both by the battery but im experiencing the same problem. Sorry for the noob question. Plus the wire i used from under the fuse is the same i used for my fog lights so is it possible that when the car is on the speakers dont have enough power and give up and pop. 

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT!

Im getting tired of singing to myself :geek:

lol

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be clipping. This is when the amplifier is driven way past it's ability.  You are probably right it's a cheap e bay unit. Get a brand name. Run as large a gauge and short a length wire as you can to the battery and to ground. Clean your battery terminals.

Could be clipping. This is when the amplifier is driven way past it's ability.  You are probably right it's a cheap e bay unit. Get a brand name. Run as large a gauge and short a length wire as you can to the battery and to ground. Clean your battery terminals.

Yea but if it was clipping wouldn't it be doing it when the car is off because it still would drive the amplifier way past its ability? Im gonna clean the terminals and grounds and then try another ebay headunit i have and see if anything changes! Thanks for the help!

Put down the wire crimpers and take it to a pro. You're done. 

Thats to easy and i dont even have "Put down the wire crimpers and take it to a pro..." money

haha

• Like 1

No, I'm saying there is a possibility that if you have an old, mechanical voltage regulator, then this could be causing noise/interference that a cheapo head unit can't deal with.

Oh ok. Would mechanical voltage regulator be from behind the fuse box ? When i wire it up with the constant and memory straight to the battery it still does the same thing though? Im gonna check my ground ! Thanks for the help !

• Like 1

All Nissans and Datsuns after '78 were internally regulated alternators so you do NOT have a mechanical VR.

I know if my battery is low like around 10 volts the stereo will go ape. This could be a bad battery cable or post connection, a fusible link, ground connection to the block.

Get a meter and see what your fuse box voltage is. Like I said at about 10 volts the transistors start to stop working. Maybe the charging system isn't working, alt bad, battery bad?

• Like 1

My first thought is clipping also.or unit needs to be , match the input.

never heard of a mechanical volt reg doing this.

I assume this is a 510? external VR alternator.

I seen a capacitor type thing on the  power wire to the amp.

I don't run fancy radios as it causes theft and broken windows and I sold all my spares cause if this I got to have a POWERFUL radio

• Like 2

All Nissans and Datsuns after '78 were internally regulated alternators so you do NOT have a mechanical VR.

I know if my battery is low like around 10 volts the stereo will go ape. This could be a bad battery cable or post connection, a fusible link, ground connection to the block.

Get a meter and see what your fuse box voltage is. Like I said at about 10 volts the transistors start to stop working. Maybe the charging system isn't working, alt bad, battery bad?

What do you mean by ground connection to the block?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

*SOLUTION*

After the radio leading to my fusible link blowing and me getting stranded on the side of the road (too much load on one wire) I gave trying to fix this a rest. After about or month or two I decided to attack the radio with another unit just to see if the other unit was messed up. I managed to find some proper cables (factory cables) from the f*%#ked up harness to go to the head units wiring. She purred nicely and loudly and the radio worked fine with the car off. After putting into the dash it started to do the same noise again but not as loud so I pulled out the unit and saw the extra wires for the rear speakers (my car only has fronts) were touching and once they did they started clipping. So I sealed each of them separately and noticed that when i put the ground too close to the other wires the music wasn't as loud. Sperating the wires has solved my problem.

Regardless I fixed the problem and I believe the other head unit i had wasn't bad but the extra wires were making contact, what a noob I am.

:thumbup:

• Like 2

Good to see a problem solved! I am going to tackle a hard wired radio in my truck soon. Never done one before in my life, only done plug and play harnesses.

Should be fairly easy! Just dont do what i did hahaha

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...