fair price on this 720

rickybobby

I am in the market for an l20b for my 510 and came across this. The owner is only interested selling whole. What would be a good price to pay? I've never ventured on this side of the forums but appreciate all things datsun. Maybe when I'm done with the 510 I'll build this lol. Please let me know how much this would go for based off of this info. Thanks!

http://mobile.craigslist.org/pts/4598936302.html

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with felter.

And that truck looks like it has a lot of great service left in it. Totally worth fixing.

I had one just like it (only that hideous pumpkin color instead) and it was the best darned little mule of a truck that I ever owned.

My apologies for my ignorance and if I offended anyone. The seller told me it was a 77 720. I also found out it has 135k miles on it but doesn't currently run due to carb problems. The only bad rust seems to be on the door at the bottom. I only really want the motor and trans.. I'm not sure if it will be worth it, though. He said the lowest his wife will let him let it go for is $650, delivered, about 2 hours away to me. If I don't do anything with the body could I recoup the money? I know scrap would bring in $200ish but I don't think I'd have it in me to do so lol. Thanks for all your help!

There's almost no difference between the L20B engines so rusty body, brakes and title problems don't really apply if all you want is an engine. Five speed is a definite plus and you should think of swapping it into your 510 also. It's the same 5 speed used in the 280z and first year zx.

I would go look at it and take a compression gauge and socket for the plugs. One sixty and over would be nice. Note that a duff cylinder may be a blown gasket.... and easy fix. Check the oil on the dip stick. Is it black? Is the block covered in caked on oil? Is the rad fill of green coolant? Take the valve cover off and look to see how clean it is under there. This will indicate if it was looked after and got regular oil changes. Definitely fire it up and look for a big blue cloud or not. Take 6 one hundred dollar bills and offer 5 to start.