My first Datsun rebuild a 1970 521 L-16

MD_Spencer

This is the 1970 521 that my son and I bought together. He is posting about it on reddit/r/datsun and I am posting about it here.

As you can see from the pictures it is in fair condition for an east coast truck. We ran an compression test this weekend and you can see the results on my other post.

We are hoping to get it up and running by the summer or 2015 but time and money will tell.

You can see some of the extra parts that I got with it in the bed. A hood, tailgate, new bumper, valance under front bumper, new grill, new package shelf, 4 headlight and buckets and bright rings, Hitachi & Weber carburetors, stock air cleaner, fuel pump, tons of small NOS parts nuts and bolts and badges, 5 new hubcaps, 3 sets of bumperetts, instrument cluster, original keys and and a bunch of other stuff I have forgotten. Oh, and a clear title too.

We paid $500.00 for the lot.

I will keep this thread posted as things progress.

dat521-1_zps501d2580.jpg

datsun521-2_zps6db6276b.jpg

datsun52192214small_zps12070753.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You scored a good deal!  You could probably sell the extra bumperettes, and pay a significant part of the purchase price.

You might find this site helpful.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun520/Datsun520521Index.aspx

Many parts are still available for 521 trucks, at your friendly neighbourhood Nissan dealer.   Giving them a part number helps them out a lot.

Here is a wiring diagram.

521wires.jpg

Do not trust glass fuses that look good.  You have to test for current going through the fuse box.  Glass fuses have a fuse element soldered to the end caps, and if the fuse gets hot, the element unsolders itself, but still looks good.