Do these compression test results = rebuild? L-16 engine

MD_Spencer

I have a question about engine compression and if I need to rebuild my trucks engine.

I have a 1970 521 with the L 16 engine. I ran a compression test yesterday and got theses results.

Cylinder 1 = 150

Cylinder 2 = 95

Cylinder 3 = 140

Cylinder 4 = 130

From what I remember from rebuilding air cooled engines this is NOT GOOD!

What would the forums advise be. Rebuild the entire engine or just a ring job or get a reman engine.

Any help keeping this project going forward would be appreciated.

datsun52192214small_zps12070753.jpg[/url]

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normal compression on a L-16 single carb engine is 171 PSI, at 350 rpm, wide open throttle.  Minimum is 159 PSI.  Additionally, each cylinder should be within 10% of the others.  Closer is better. 

Your engine will probably run "OK"  but it will run much better if compression was at factory specifications.   The cost to rebuild a L-16 is about the same as to rebuild a L-20-b engine, or a L-18.   The L-18 is a direct bolt in, the L-20-B is slightly taller, may require changes to the exhaust pipe to connect to the engine manifold.

If the truck is running, I would get another engine, and keep the truck running.  Use the truck for getting another engine, and trips to get parts, or take parts to a machine shop.   Try to find an engine that does not need rebuilding, but Datsuns are much more common on the side of the USA closest to Japan.  Be advised, if you swap another L engine into your 521, you will need to keep the 521/L-16 oil pan, and oil pickup.

Adjust the valves, and see if the compression improves.  You may buy some time before you HAVE to do something, but you need to deal with the engine pretty soon.

Make a spreadsheet, with all the costs of rebuilding your engine, the costs of getting another engine, and try to include as many problems you can think of.  That will help you make the best, or better decision for you.

If you were working with an air cooled engine, commonly from Germany, the most economical and usually the best option is getting new barrels, pistons, and rings, in a kit.   With Datsun engines, you do not have that option.  If the cylinders are worn to a taper, you have to bore, and get oversized pistons.  But Datsun used very high quality metal in the cylinder block, and it is common for Datsun engines to not really need boring, and are within factory specifications, even with a lot of miles on them.   Definitely good enough for a daily driver.