My L20B Build

Ant-dat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's what I thought but then it looks a little too green, sadly my engine block looks to be very light in colour so can use it for a paint match.

Friend managed to get a cracking deal for engine bore, fitting pistons onto rods and crank examine and grind if required for £100. Just waiting on the call when he can take it/

Your not getting the rods reconditioned at the machine shop?

When I did my rods I felt that the bolts were a little sloppy in the rods, so I put Arp bolts in, which led to shot peening them and reconditioning them.

As rod bolts are one of the most stressed parts of an engine I get weary of re using 30 year old ones. For that reason and the fact that the Arp bolts aren't that much, and a rod recondition isn't that much anyway, why not? Peace of mind in my opinion.

I will second datsunmike on the stock bolts being fine at 7k, the l20b in my truck gets spun that fast frequently ;)

they will be checked but the engine hasn't had a hard life and only covered 40k odd miles. everything in the engine looked very good apart for 2 rod bearings. On cylinder 3 and 4 and I can only think the oil pump was the issue which is being replaced.

Ahhh the oil pump. Be sure to get the KA24E oil pump from the S13 or the KA24E or DE from the D21 Hardbody truck. They have longer internal rotors for pushing 13% more volume. I have had one on all my L series engines.

I would try the Nissan dealer.

The problem will be to actually know if you are getting a high volume pump or not. On the outside they look identical to the early pumps. If you have it off and look down into the intake opening of a regular pump you can just barely see the top of the pump rotors...

motorHi-volumeoilpump1Lg.jpg

On the high volume pumps the top of the rotors are clearly visible...

motorHi-volumeoilpump2Lg.jpg

There is no possible way to tell from the outside except looking down into it.

The KA engines had two different types of pumps. One was internal the other external of the block and identical to the L series engines.

#15010-40F00 is the part number. From Nissan about $120 US.

• 2 months later...

Hi sorry for not updating sooner, Had a complete nightmare with the machine shop. I have an Oil pump on order with 15010-40F00 part no (thanks again)

On to the machining saga, it's a little complicated and sadly put it down to an expensive lesson :(

First I was quoted £100 (via friends garage) for the over size and crank inspection (fantastic price as I thought)

The garage got the call stating the block was read and the total cost was £471.

to cut a long pain full story short it ended up costing me £400 and here is what I got back

CydHex01.JPG

CydHex02.JPG

CydHex07.JPG

CydHex08.JPG

CydHex09.JPG

CydHex10.JPG

CydHex11.JPG

CydHex12.JPG

CydHex13.JPG

CydHex14.JPG

after 3 hours I managed to get the crappy black paint off the block

CydHex03.JPG

CydHex04.JPG

CydHex05.JPG

CydHex06.JPG

to say I was not pleased was an under statement. I have managed to get the block decontaminated from time of these pics.

• Like 1