Introduction...picked up an 85 720 kc 4x4

GarrettQ

I agree on plugs Charlie, thats all i use in my Nissans.  Thanks for the links.

I will be replacing plugs, but i may try as yall suggested and clean em up, re-gap, and install temporarily to see if it runs any better.

Thanks for looking,

GarrettQ.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got some plugs put in the old girl.  What a difference.  its still running on the wires and cap/rotor i bought truck with.  Those items are on order and i haven't received them yet, but i was getting anxious, so i went ahead and put in the new OE NGK plugs, gapped to .032, just to see how much better it would run, and get the timing and idle adjusted correctly.

Here is an image after i removed air cleaner and plug wires. It was raining pretty hard that day, and i had to re attach the wires on the exhaust side before i could pull the truck into the shop at my work, so thats why there is some water in the engine bay.

2014-11-21.jpg

Here are the plugs i pulled out of the engine.  The plugs on the intake side were all loose, like they weren't torqued down correctly. And most of the plugs weren't even close to correct gap,  2 plugs on each side had zero gap, and likely weren't firing.

2014-11-22.jpg

2014-11-221.jpg

Here is a short video of it at idle, the idle still isnt as low as it should be, its running here at about 1000rpm, but i think i still need some adjusting on the carb.  Ill likely be putting a weber in it after the holidays.  that will give me a good learning opportunity to rebuild the stock carb. 

Motor runs much better, and much stronger.  Before it would shake the whole truck, now there is virtually no shaking at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e01tcoy5Ow8

so next week ill receive the new ngk wires and new cap/rotor, while i have the air cleaner and wires off ill use that window to clean up the engine a bit. 

Major things left to do:

new windshield seal/gasket

replace or rebuild trans. (still no reverse)

hook up driveshaft to T-case

repair floor pan rot

new tires

Thanks for looking,

GarrettQ.

• Like 2

Well it had one plug on each cylinder firing, but #3 likely wasn't burning all that great.

If there is a lot of build up on the cylinder head surfaces, and pieces break loose, they will pound themselves to bits, at the same time they can hit the plug ends and if they are big enough they could close the gap to zero like what has happened to you, it's hard to say why the build up occurs, maybe cheap gas, maybe how the truck is driven, maybe a lot of other reasons, or likely just a combination of reasons, I have seen guys delete the 8 plug system and the engine ran just fine, so maybe you engine was just ready for a tune up about 15,000 miles ago.

• Like 1

I'm thinking your probably correct on the gap issues Wayno.  I have spoken to several people who are way smarter than me when it comes to engines, and they all say it was likely a piece of carbon that hit the ground strap and closed the gap.

Definitely needed the tune up, truck was LOVING me after giving it a new set of tickers.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post, it also has an exhaust leak, so that's why its kinda loud in the video link i posted.  It is also on the list of things to do.

GarrettQ.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Another small progress update. Havent been able to do much to the truck lately, but i did clean up the engine bay a little bit.  Not too much of a detail job, but looks much better than it did.

Before

2014-11-21.jpg

After

2014-12-13.jpg

stripped out most of the vac lines coming from the carb and air cleaner.  most of them were dry rotted, and loose fitting, but i mainly pulled them off because of this....

20141223_213528.jpg

I was hoping to already have this installed, but USPS screwed up and flew this carb from New York, to Hawaii, then to me in texas.  Damn thing needs a rebuild already, its been half way across the globe. lol.  So after christmas ill tackle this thing.

Should i hook up a fuel pressure regulator, and maybe get a fresh fuel pump?  The few horror stories ive read about these seem to point to incorrect fuel pressure.  Any advice on installing this thing is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

GarrettQ.

• Like 1

Nice progress Garret.  Did that Weber come as a kit with the hardware to install it?  It takes an adapter to mount to the manifold.  You will most likely need a Return spring and bracket.  I will post some pictures of how I did mine.

Merry Christmas.

Yeah charlie, its all there. Got the kit from weber direct.

Some pics would be much appreciated. Ive watched a few youtube vids showing how people have hooked em up, so i figure ill just follow weber's instructions and turn to here or those videos for anything im not sure on.

Prob the hardest/time consuming part is gonna be getting all the vacuum lines hooked up correctly.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

• Like 1