I still don't have my Z title

EndStar

It's actually really easy to get a title if you don't have one in Cali. I've had 9 510's, none have had titles and I've registered all of them except one that I sold before getting a title. I buy lots of cars without titles. In fact my fj20 510 I owned for 11 years with no title.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait I have a question. So I have the same situation. The cars original owner was in utah, he totaled the car and sold the car to a guy and that guy sold it to me. The guy in the middle never put it in his name. What do I have to do to get it in my name?

I have the original title and it was signed off by the original owner.

Wait I have a question. So I have the same situation. The cars original owner was in utah, he totaled the car and sold the car to a guy and that guy sold it to me. The guy in the middle never put it in his name. What do I have to do to get it in my name?

Try a couple thins the other people mentioned, I had him get the title, then give it to me

Well I have the orignal title. And the orignal owner signed it off.

i dont that will work... because i had the original title from tennesse and we had to have him get a MI title, then he had to wait for that, then he signed it off to me and i was good. you might have to contact him about it. but read more, because somebody said there is an instant title place where you can do out of state stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...

The best thing to do is to walk into DMV and say as little as possible. Walk up to the counter and say "I need to register this car." Only answer questions truthfully and only speak when spoken to. I know it sounds like I'm making a joke, but the more information they have to deal with, the more problems can arise.

Intent is the improtant thing here. If you are (basically) telling the truth, the truth being that you legally purchased this car, then you will be able to get it registered. I have done it many different ways before. Once I told them the the guy I bought it from was a deadbeat and he wouldn't return my calls. They made me fill out an afidavit and a statement of facts (both of which I kept short and to the point) and I walked out with the proper paperwork. Once I made up a guys name and signed a bill of sale in his (fictitional) name, that worked too. And then there's the situation where you get a clerk that syas you're SOL. You just remind them that you did in fact pay good money for this car and it was legally purchased and "what can I do to give DMV some money today?" that has worked too.

Sometimes, actually most of the time, less paperwork is better than a long line of confusing paperwork. If you bought it from a guy that it was never registered to, then leave him out of the loop completely.

Recently I have been using a registration service. This lady I found who worked for DMV for 30 years does all the paperwork for me, will come to my shop to do a VIN verification, she files all the paperwork and sends it in. All I have to do is give her a check for $250 per vehicle. And she knows how to work the system too. She saved me $1700 in back fees on a truck once. She got it down to $40.

• Like 1

...oh, and don't tell them it is from out of state unless they ask.

Thats what screwed me over, title from 2 owners ago out of state... But I did get it worked out and payed $30 in fees cause the po put $200 for what I bought it for. It just took time, but the less you say and saying the truth the whole time is the best.
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I think I'm finally getting the title for my 210!  Just a 10 day waiting period for the previous owner to respond(no response from 2 prior attempts) and the WV DMV will transfer it over to my name.  Crap! it's been 6 months since I started this pursuit and over 2 years since I've personally had possession of the car.  Persistence pays.

• 1 year later...

hahaha!!  It took me this long but I finally got my title.  I just took her on her maiden voyage last night.  Got some gas, adjusted the carb, runs better.  I can't believe it took me an entire year to get it.

• Like 1