msd 6al box

PinoyDat210

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Question: does the green dist wire go to green on msd magnetic pickup, and red dist wire to purple on the magnetic pickup on MSD? So confused. Same problem, same situation. No solution.

Your '79 already has an Electronic Ignition. This is like having a spare tire for your spare tire. Spend the money on something else that really needed.

I have to say, this is the only place, (internet or book) that anyone says anything good about the Nissan electronic ignition. I have never tried one. I must be missing out. Pertronix Ignitors on everything here.

I have heard both good and bad about MSD. A few years ago there was some Chinese bootleg copies floating around on Ebay. They were just an empty box with a GM HEI module in them.

My MSD stuff works great. I go two seasons without even looking at the plugs. Okay, I glance at them when swapping head gaskets. The rev limiter modules aren't always accurate, but the box with the dial is. 

It's used on the 280zx that red lines at 7,500? That's over 11,000 on a 4 cylinder. Set 'em and forget 'em. My truck has one and I totally forgot about it for 5 years of perfect one crank starts... until it didn't start one day. The carbon button was worn away that contacts the rotor. I cut a 1/2" chunk of fence wire and stuck it in to get home. The thing is they run so well you forget about them and the rest of the ignition system.

For everyone wondering about wiring this MSD 6A (accidental ebay overbid) to your perfectly good D4K EI dist, here it is.... FlatCat19, didn't call 'em... just a result of a 50/50 chance of being right (go b310!!!)

***unplug matchbox, remove cap, disconnect grn and red, connect to MSD green and purple***

MSD purple -----> red Hitachi***

MSD green -----> green Hitachi***

MSD RED -----> POS TERMINAL

MSD BLACK -----> NEG

MSD red -----> original (+) coil wire

MSD white -----> NOTHING (tape off or otherwise disable)

MSD orange -----> (+) terminal on ign. coil

MSD black -----> (-) terminal on ign. coil

MSD yellow -----> tach (if using one)

Working great, except for the $71 wasted on no real change.

maybe i'll try new plugs or something.

Working great, except for the $71 wasted on no real change.

maybe i'll try new plugs or something.

You are trying to fix a problem by guesswork and throwing parts at it. A new ignition isn't going to fix bad valves or a carb that needs adjusting. You need to define the problem first

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I bid on the msd thingy on ebay thinking it would provide a noticeable difference.... But there wasn't a difference. except in my wallet hahaha.

As far as looks, it "looks" cool... but lacks performance changing gusto I had imagined would occur.

Believe me, this is a topic I wish I had visited before bidding.

But yeah, Mike.... I totally agree with you that the real problem needs to be diagnosed first. This isn't my first car tinkering experience, but I will say it is my first without help from my Dad or a friend etc.... and first non-american made car. My 210, even at it's worst, has been the best car I've ever had. I now love Datsun and Dodge both (in that order, of course)

WP_20141127_001_zpsdaee2eb4.jpg?t=141711

Happy Thanksgiving, guys!!! Cheers!