Ca new law favoring bicycles

Eomund

https://calbike.org/advocacy/giveme3/give-me-3-faq/

So, there's a new law that past in the veil of darkness last night. California apperently joined 22 states last night and all cars have to give bicycles a 3 foot buffer. If you can't pass them legally and keep this buffer, we are supposed to keep behind the bicycle.

There is, however, no addition to this law that punishes bicyclists for straying out of their lane or passing cars within this 3 foot rule, giving the bicyclists essentially full control of the road. Cars, who the roads were built for, now are treated like 2nd class citizens in a their own domain.

Discuss.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

200px-Season_4_-_Jesse.jpg

Fuck you Bitches!!!! Bikes were around before automobiles. Maybe this will promote a little more awareness of people riding bicycles. Every day some fucking asshole wizzes past me just 2 1/2 feet away, and you just know he didn't see, or notice, or care that his two ton POS would cream me. Most pull over to the left side of the lane and when possible some pull right over in the on coming lane. That's nice and I appreciate it but to those that neither slow no pull over and blast past me you can suck cocks in hell. With your mother.

• Like 5

Do you do what you can to stay out of the cars way? Its a 2 way street. In Ca, we have byciclists that ride right in the middle of a 55mph road and WON'T get out of the way. And passing over a double yellow is both illegal and extremely dangerous. So what do we do? Go 10mph when we have a 55mph?

You can get pissed all you want, but how many times were you passed close when you easily could have been further from the road huh?

• Like 1

200px-Season_4_-_Jesse.jpg

Fuck you Bitches!!!! Bikes were around before automobiles. Maybe this will promote a little more awareness of people riding bicycles. Every day some fucking asshole wizzes past me just 2 1/2 feet away, and you just know he didn't see, or notice, or care that his two ton POS would cream me. Most pull over to the left side of the lane and when possible some pull right over in the on coming lane. That's nice and I appreciate it but to those that neither slow no pull over and blast past me you can suck cocks in hell. With your mother.

I dont get it,what.

We have a white fog line and about 3 feet of pavement and then the shoulder outside the actual car lane. I don't know what you have or call this but I ride in this area, usually no more than half way between pavement edge and white line and mostly slightly closer to the edge. This is my space and I stick to it yet drivers cut through this on right hand curves and pass left turning cars in this.

Hey there are assholes everywhere on two and four wheels, I know that. There are good ones too. I don't want to be a hood ornament.

I'm all for giving cyclists their space but around here very few cyclists follow the rules of the road. Most of those ride their bikes like they're pedestrians and, of the few who don't, a high percentage of them only follow the rules of the road part of the time. I just love seeing the cyclists riding up on the right of traffic coming to a light and then getting pissed off when someone makes a right turn in front of them (making a legal right on a green light). That cyclist should not be zipping up alongside everyone trying to rush to get through the intersection - they're just asking for trouble. Then there are the ones who take off before their light turns green because, well, they know it's going to turn green and other lights have turned red. Well, if it's not legal for me to do it in my car a cyclist shouldn't be doing it either. Many wanted to be treated with respect, but there are just too many jackasses out there who feel that they don't need to follow the rules like every other vehicle on the road.

All this being said, I commuted on a bicycle several times a week for multiple years. I know it sucks for cyclists and, in spite of my rant, am very aware and respectful of them. But I also see where many drivers take issue with them and maybe aren't so inclined to give them the respect they should. Around here, cyclists typically have a 'holier than thou' attitude when it comes to riding in traffic.

Both drivers and riders need to be respectful of each other and everyone needs to follow the rules of the road, period.

• Like 4

the ole bicycle blow job.....

Anyway... I live in Biketown USA (Portland, OR) and I think it just comes down to everybody looking out for each other, while simultaneously covering their own ass. If I'm riding my bike, I'm keeping close tabs on traffic, stopping at lights and signs, and making sure that if I have to merge into traffic that I've made eye contact with the people in cars. On the flip side, when I'm in my truck I'm checking my blind spots and always looking right, before a right hand turn (that's one of the easiest ways to squish a cyclist.) 

I don't think we need big old high horses here. We just have to be a little careful so we don't kill or get killed by each other on the road.

• Like 3

We have a white fog line and about 3 feet of pavement and then the shoulder outside the actual car lane. I don't know what you have or call this but I ride in this area, usually no more than half way between pavement edge and white line and mostly slightly closer to the edge. This is my space and I stick to it yet drivers cut through this on right hand curves and pass left turning cars in this.

Hey there are assholes everywhere on two and four wheels, I know that. There are good ones too. I don't want to be a hood ornament.

See, there's already laws that are supposed to keep drivers out of that lane. So if they're already breaking the law. I can understand your irritance, but keep in mind, the a-holes that drive this way around you are already breaking the law. A new law need not be created to protect you as what they are doing is already a tickitable offence.

Well In Ca it is, no idea about Canada.

Guest Rick-rat

Bicycles should have to be licensed and riders  over 16 should have an endorsement on their drivers license, or a license for just the bicycle and need to pass an exam to get a license. Lots of people where I live think they always have the right of way and stop signs are meaningless, riding the wrong way on one way roads, cutting cars off, holding up traffic. And they think that the people that don't ride bikes should foot the bill for bicycle lanes. Just a bunch of people trying to pedal their asses.   Fuck them all, I wouldn't feel bad if I ran over someone when they are not in the bike lane, no bike lane I will cut them some slack

• Like 1

On down town roads I'm much looser with the rules. Going to work I have about 4km of highway and 3 of bike path up the river then maybe a km of about 6-7 blocks that are very quiet, might see 4-5 cars. Going home I have 4 busy down town blocks through the alley with cross streets to get to the path. Coming out of the alley is sometimes bad. One major traffic route to cross. I don't cut people off, have never been honked at for being bold. Actually to their advantage to let me get out of their way as fast as possible and I think they know it. People are going slower in town and I think more aware of pedestrians (and bikes) than on the highway.

Rick, it sounds like the PD in your are needs to start giving out some tickets to these reckless cyclists. I've seen plenty of people around here ride like total assholes, but I just figure they are the ones putting themselves in danger. I don't think it would be an unreasonable idea to have a road-riding bike license/test. Knowing the rules of the road is crucial to not getting run over on a bike. Start hurting people's bank accounts with tickets and maybe cyclists will stop at stop signs?

As far as paying for bike lanes goes... idunno... all of us working adults are paying for the roads, regardless of your means of transportation... car, bike, bus, train... we all pay into it... I get more pissed of when they replace the center turn lane with a concrete median and some shrubs. At least someone can use the bike lane...

• Like 1

Rick, it sounds like the PD in your are needs to start giving out some tickets to these reckless cyclists. I've seen plenty of people around here ride like total assholes, but I just figure they are the ones putting themselves in danger. I don't think it would be an unreasonable idea to have a road-riding bike license/test. Knowing the rules of the road is crucial to not getting run over on a bike. Start hurting people's bank accounts with tickets and maybe cyclists will stop at stop signs?

As far as paying for bike lanes goes... idunno... all of us working adults are paying for the roads, regardless of your means of transportation... car, bike, bus, train... we all pay into it... I get more pissed of when they replace the center turn lane with a concrete median and some shrubs. At least someone can use the bike lane...

My car tags pay for the roads. Bicyclists don't pay road tax or any registration. I'm not against bike lanes as such, but maybe a paid license would help pay for it? And on highways, if you can't keep out of the traffic ways, maybe you don't belong out there.

I believe in the right to commute, but I don't like the favoritism vehicle don't pay for the roads get on them.

And Rick isn't the only one who sees this bad behavior. Everyday I see people riding like this.

• Like 2

The #1 goal when driving a car is always to be safe and to not harm anyone. Getting where you're going is secondary. Getting there on time is not important.

Bicyclists are vehicles like any other. There are human beings involved and they're very vulnerable to cars.

Take a breath and show some humanity.

If you think you need to teach some cyslist a lesson, you're wrong. Your life will be much better if you safely move on, looking for some more constructive way to express your 'enthusiasm'.

• Like 2

I have a 50 mile commute to work. 15 miles of which is full of avid cyclists, daily. Mostly, they respect the rules. In turn, I give them their space.

The fog line. What's with the guys who think that 6" white stripe, is their bike lane??

Then there's the Tweakers on bikes. No license to drive, pan handling, McDonald's dwellers. These pricks dart out in front of traffic, out of nowhere. And they feel they have the right of way on some imaginary 45° lane through every parking lot in town. Constantly see those douche bags laid out in the gutter, after getting creamed by some random College chick.

And, motorcyclists with helmet cams. Fuck.

• Like 2

My car tags pay for the roads. Bicyclists don't pay road tax or any registration. I'm not against bike lanes as such, but maybe a paid license would help pay for it? And on highways, if you can't keep out of the traffic ways, maybe you don't belong out there.

I believe in the right to commute, but I don't like the favoritism vehicle don't pay for the roads get on them.

And Rick isn't the only one who sees this bad behavior. Everyday I see people riding like this.

Like I said, I think a test and a license to ride a bike on the road might be helpful. I see the same reckless riders you guys do. Maybe if people were required to prove their skill/knowledge on a bike, they'd be safer? Maybe?

I definitely don't want to talk politics about where each dollar comes from to pay for roads  because I'm not an expert. I know in PDX they've gotten grants for some of the lanes and blah blah I don't really know the details... If I had to pay a fee or a tax to ride on the road I would do it. I already pay my dues for driving...

I like having the option to drive or bike and I like that I have a separate lane for each. 

I think bike lanes are a great idea, but they don't help me much.   I generally ride everywhere but I choose my routes carefully unless I know it's only a 25 mph zone and I can keep up with traffic.  If it's faster than that and there isn't much of a shoulder to speak of, I ride on the sidewalk.  Yep, it's illegal.  But I'd rather be illegal than get hit from behind.  I've been run over by a Dodge pickup in college, can't say I enjoyed it much.  And that was IN a bike lane and a guy cut me off to turn right into a parking lot.  No blinker, just turn.  Anymore, I ride for my safety, fuck everyone else.

• Like 1

Reciprocity!  If I have to give a bicycle, let alone a motorcycle. don't I have theright to  have the idiot  give me the same clearance?, E.G. no more lane splitting unless they give me the same 3 foot clearance when they buzz in front of me?  It goes both ways idiots!  You can't claim a right without acknowledging the recipocal recponsibility to observe the same Vehicle responsibilities, and yes I include all you idiots that blow through stop signs with your helmets too low to see the cross traffic!

• Like 1

I think bike lanes are a great idea, but they don't help me much.   I generally ride everywhere but I choose my routes carefully unless I know it's only a 25 mph zone and I can keep up with traffic.  If it's faster than that and there isn't much of a shoulder to speak of, I ride on the sidewalk.  Yep, it's illegal.  But I'd rather be illegal than get hit from behind.  I've been run over by a Dodge pickup in college, can't say I enjoyed it much.  And that was IN a bike lane and a guy cut me off to turn right into a parking lot.  No blinker, just turn.  Anymore, I ride for my safety, fuck everyone else.

I actually agree w/ riding on sidewalks.

As far as lane splitting (DMV actually calls it lane sharing) is actually legal as long as traffic is going slow enough. I don't really have much of a problem as I see it as 1 less vehicle in the traffic jam. Its the people who ride in the driving lane when traffic is moving quick I have a problem.

Back to my original topic, this law was created to enforce laws that already exist. The problem is the lack of regulation on the bicycles allows them to totally ride like jackasses and if there are any accidents or collisions, this law immediately holds the driver responsible which is what I find bull.

• Like 1

I can't believe some people are against giving bike riders 3 feet of space, do you really have to get that fucking close to them? Haha..

Don't see why that should be a problem with anyone.

Again, cars have to say 3 feet away from bikes, not visa versa. Bikes don't have to follow the rules and per this law the car will still be held responsible.

• Like 1