620/720 frame swaps

willz

Found a 1985 nissan 720 4wd frame with running gear (no motor or trans) what would it take to throw my 620 body and engine over, or would it be easier to move all the 4wd stuff onto the 620 frame? I realize there would be some cutting and welding involved

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Four wheel stuff swapped into a 620 would be a monumental task, I know. The 620 body and box will fit a similar 720 frame. (more or less) but it has to be reg cab short wheel base 620 to a reg cab short wheel base 720. King Cab to King Cab although a long wheelbase frame is the same and will work if you move two of the bed mounts back about 8" and weld them back on.

The 4x4 frame is slightly different than the 2wd frames but the only concern is the body mounts are higher. 

620 steering column and box are integral so you will need to use the 720 steering column. I don't know if the 4x4 came without power steering. There is no way to power the pump on an L20B and steering a power steering box without assist might be tough. The 280zx is an L motor and they did have PS pumps. Maybe swap something like that over?? Don't know.

HOWEVER the oil pan won't clear the front differential. You'll have to make something for that. The '80 4x4 720 had L20Bs but the diff was on the opposite side so that pan won't work.

Otherwise your rad, L20B with mounts and engine brackets, transmission should fit.Note that some 720 used a short 5 speed and you 620 transmission is a long. Either shorten the too long 720 primary driveshaft or find a shorter one from a 720 with a long 5 speed.

Does anyone make any aftermarket a arms? Or is there anything out there that sorta bolts on? Maybe someone has done something similar... From what I've found everyone is into the straight axle 4x4 but I'm looking for more of a dune killer/prerunner