Timing chain whine after new head... too tight?

metalmonkey47

Hey guys, so after slapping my new head on my L24, I noticed the chain was SUPEr tight (no slack) after re-installing the top sprocket. Started her up and it's whining bad. It was installed the same way it came apart, so I don't know what I'm missing. 

And yes, I did block the tensioner before I started, and it's still in place. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sccooter ,

We dont want to take the front cover off thats why hes asking. Trying to prevent that but to me its the next task.

As my chain was tight also but I could see my tensioner was out and cocked at a 45 deg angle.

The only other option is that the shue is just worn out to the metal and maybe soemhow with a magnet ck the oil for shavings from the tensioner

Most will be owrn right at the bottom as the chain goes around it.

Got it. Turns out the tensioner had popped ever so slightly out of place, and hung up on the slack side guide. I'm working on the motor right now. The motor is getting some seriously needed maintenance. Guess that's the good way of looking at it..

I thought I'd be able to get it without pulling the front cover, but it was so cockeyed out of place there was no chance.