reverse lights

midtown720

The previous owner told me that he tried to see if the motor needed a better ground and hooked up jumper cables from the negative battery terminal to the motor. He soon realized that he accidentally put the positive up against the motor and he said it bogged the motor down but since then the reverse lights won't come on. What do I need to do to try and troubleshoot the lights for them to work again? Ive replaced the bulbs and they work for all of 5 mins halfway lit up.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a z20s nissan 720 base model. I tried to just replace the bulbs. I put the key in the on position and put the truck in reverse. I watched both lights on very dim then the passenger side went out first followed by the driver side. Its was one maybe 5 mins. Where are the grounds to lights? I checked all the fusses.

Do all the other lights light up brightly?

Is it only the reverse lamps that are dim?

If the other lights (brake, running, marker, license and turn signal) are also dim then the ground back there is bad. 

If one went out, and then the other, then it can't be anything but the bulbs making bad contact. Bulbs can't go out one at a time if the power suddenly stops. The voltage for the bulbs ranges from zero (dead battery) to about 14.5 with the engine running. There is nothing that can blow the bulbs out. Take the bulbs back out and clean the bulb socket.

Unlikely it's the fuse as gauges and  turn signals are on that fuse and you don't mention them not working.

Voltage is obviously low at the bulbs. Could be the round connector at the back of the pass side rear tail light where the main frame harness plugs into the tail light harness across the back. Try unplugging this several times to rub and clean the contacts. Next clean the bulb sockets. Both are sprayed with dirt and water and subject of corrosion. The Yellow/Blue wire powers the back up lamps check the pins inside the round plug... again if bad contact here both lamps would have gone out together. Check the sockets.