Barn Find - Yes, a true Barn Find! 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab

qwik510

Looking good David. So how does it drive now?

You pretty much have a brand new Datsun. Not many people can say that.  :cool:

Actually, it drives pretty well. It is very easy to drive. The L20B has plenty of power and the 5 speed makes it really nice for higher speeds. The steering is kind of vague but it goes down the road straight and handles the curves ok for a stock truck. The exhaust needs to be replaced. I have a brand new front pipe from the manifold to the muffler but I need to get a muffler and tail pipe for it.

I am not a fan of front drum brakes. I need to adjust them some more to get them to balance out a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for another overdue update.

So I got tired of waiting to try and find a stock muffler and tailpipe in and decided to take the truck to a local muffler shop. I had them install the new front pipe and a walker muffler and bend up a new tailpipe.

So finally the truck is quiet enough to hear what it sounds like. The engine is super quiet and runs great. It really pulls well and does feel like a new 35-year-old truck. I am still not happy with the stock drum brakes, but that is probably just me being used to disc brakes and driving faster than I should. I will address that issue in the spring.

I am now having another issue with the charging system. For whatever reason, the battery is going completely dead. I guess it is the alternator or the voltage regulator. I plan to pull the alternator and have it tested.

Here's a pic for all you pic hoars.

4c436793578804741eebb1eea7fc935c_zpsevcu

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Last update:

This truck was sold today. It is going into a large car collection of classic Japanese cars and trucks. It will be preserved and the new owner will give it the love and care it deserves.

I'm not disclosing the sale price but it was a good deal for both the buyer and the seller.

abab1d7b5b1c2c11241a70408bcc98f4_zpsqhhm

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...