Barn Find - Yes, a true Barn Find! 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab

qwik510

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dealer was a bust on OG 620 wires. I ended up ordering a set for a 1980 720 with an L20B. They should look close to the OG. They are on their way from a Nissan Dealer in WA. 

Started to work on the brakes and clutch this weekend. Seems the clutch master and the brake master are both shot. 

I figure I should just go ahead and replace it all. 

So these items are added to the shopping list. I hope I can find original stuff for a decent price.

Brake Master Cylinder

Brake Wheel Cylinders (all 4)

Brake Adjusters (all 4)

Brake Shoes and Hardware (all 4)

Clutch Master Cylinder

Clutch Slave Cylinder

Anyone have a source for this stuff that will not cost an arm and a leg?

The brake master is a 3/4" Nabco.

• Like 1

Love this truck!! It is just amazing what is out there sitting in people's barns. My dad got his truck a couple years ago in Roy wa and drove it home after sitting in a barn for ten years! I hope I someday will be able to save a datsun like this!

Wow is that the original battery!? 

Serious time capsule, congrats! Awesome to see a pickup with a 7k redline.  :thumbup: 

Cheers

Yes. It had the original battery. Too bad it's no good. The sides are bulging. This truck is so original. Even has the original bias ply tires.

Thanks.

Ok, I ordered a bunch of stuff tonight.

Brakes:

Master cylinder

Shoes

Wheel cylinders

Hardware kits

(I have NOS adjusters that came with the truck)

Clutch master cylinder

Clutch slave cylinder

New clutch hose

Thermostat and gaskets

So when this stuff gets here and I get it all installed, I will hopefully get to finally take it for a ride.

Were you able to get OEM parts?

Ordered it all from Rock Auto. They listed a Tokcko Brake Master cylinder so I ordered that. Finding OEM will take too long. I want to drive this truck before winter sets in. So I figure I will install these parts and keep an eye out for the rest in OEM. I'll change them out as I get them.

• Like 2

Yes, I'll be keeping it all for future rebuild.

Part of me really wants to keep it all stock.

The other part of me wants to rip out all the emissions stuff and install a nice set of SU carbs, update the front brakes to discs, lower it and install some nice wheels.

I just can't seem to justify altering it from stock. It is so damn original. 

I'm just glad to have it. 

• Like 4

Part of me really wants to keep it all stock.

The other part of me wants to rip out all the emissions stuff and install a nice set of SU carbs, update the front brakes to discs, lower it and install some nice wheels.

I just can't seem to justify altering it from stock. It is so damn original. 

I can appreciate the fact that this truck is so original. On the other hand........you have a perfect unmolested truck that would make a bitch'n daily driver with some minor updates and upgrades. As original as it is, it would need a lot of money to fully restore. 

Just my two pennies worth. 

• Like 2

Keep it original! You'd be crazy to change it! Drive it to all the local Nissan dealerships when you get it running and watch the response. Any big Nissan dealership would love that in their show room, especially one that sells a lot of trucks! A lot of the big successful dealerships have a Datsun of some sort with low miles as a flagship, all powder coated up. The rare options of that year and rocking the original paint, come on man! That thing is worth the $10,000 that "Awesome Bill" was asking. Rebuild OEM where you have to, and show that thing! Its the very, very rare all stock ones the next generation sees at the car shows shows with their dads; that brings up the value to all our Datsuns! Hell, I read how guys on here can't even find those four original hub caps you have. I'm in the same dilemma with my 720 (forum newb and his 34K original...) I enjoy the shit out of driving it and want to change things at times, but with the miles and originality it has, returning/maintaining stock is the right thing to do. Think if the truck had a soul... Lastly, I seen this guy take top pick with a redone, but ORIGINAL 520; sitting next to Ferraris and the such at a Orange County California show! That could be us someday man!

imagejpg1_zps91ff45b6.jpg

• Like 6

I can appreciate the fact that this truck is so original. On the other hand........you have a perfect unmolested truck that would make a bitch'n daily driver with some minor updates and upgrades. As original as it is, it would need a lot of money to fully restore. 

Just my two pennies worth. 

That is my dilemma. I would love to do the things to make it more drive-able by today's standards but I know how hard it is to find one in this condition. I would not restore it, I would preserve it. It really does not need much.

I have considered doing the things I want to it as long as I keep the parts to put it back to original if I ever decide to. Once I get the brakes and clutch done, I will drive it for a while and see how I like it stock.

When I was 16-18, I worked for an electronics company part time doing home service calls and my work truck was a 77 620 KC. I always loved that truck so here I am 36 years later with one of my own. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Long overdue update.

Got busy with life, the holidays, etc so the truck sat for a while. Anyway, this past Sunday, the weather was warm (60 degrees) so we put some time into the truck.

Installed the new brake and clutch master cylinders, pulled the front drums and installed new wheel cylinders, shoes and spring hardware. Cleaned and lubed the adjusters. Pulled the rear drums and cleaned and inspected the rear brakes. They were in surprisingly good shape.

Bled the brakes and the clutch systems.

Ran into a few issues. While the truck was idling, it ran out of gas. Went and got a can of fresh gas and poured it in and the the engine would not idle properly. Seems there must still be some junk in the fuel system that got sucked into the carb. I need to pull the carb and clean it out. Probably need to pull the gas tank too.

The clutch would not engage properly. Adjusted the rod and it seems to be fully engaging the slave rod to the clutch fork but it is hard to go into gear and the clutch does not disengage when the pedal is depressed. We are wondering if the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel or maybe the pressure plate is shot.

I guess the trans will need to come out. The truck did move under its own power for the first time in over 3 decades so that was cool.

We just got our first snow last night so it may be a little while before I get back to it.

Sorry no new pics.

• Like 2

Too bad about the carb, should be easy to take care of though. The tanks are really easy to flush as they have a drain bolt. Blow air through all the lines while they are disconnected. 

For the clutch you can check the pressure plate by pulling the slave cylinder and using a prybar on the lever arm to check the clutch release. Could be the master or the slave not wanting to release. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It's been way too long since this thread was updated. Sorry.

Well, I have had this truck for a little over a year now. I had some health issues earlier this year (eye surgery) and a long recovery. Because of this, I took the truck to a longtime Datsun mechanic to have him get it together for me. Unfortunately, he was way too busy and the truck mostly sat in his shop. After nearly 5 months, He finally got around to working on it. I got it back a few weeks ago.

Things that were done include:

Complete rebuild of factory carburetor

Flushed fuel lines

Complete rebuild of brakes, new Master cylinder, wheels cylinders, adjusters, linings, etc.

installation of a new Clutch system including clutch disc, PP, T.O.Bearing, clutch master and slave, etc.

Complete tune up including, plugs, points, wires, cap and rotor. Timing was set and valves were adjusted.

Flush of cooling system and new thermostat, etc.

Removed gas tank, I bought a known to be good tank from a member here but unfortunately it was not the correct tank for this truck so I took the original tank to be completely restored and relined. It took them a month to get the tank done.

Finally the truck is moving and driving after a 30 year slumber.

This past week, I cleaned up and primed and painted the wheels and got new tires mounted.

Also, removed the rear step bumper and changed the side mirrors.

Next up, get the exhaust work done and then buff and detail the truck.

Pics.

a26987c12d3401fd46983c36b4707598_zpsqmmg

c57331f0a43ac4afc3805bec6032185d_zpslx6d

5d1e75762a6a591e2abd49af1cebc9cc_zps8u0q

2c1f956ceccb3ed4278fb9544555d177_zpsbv4a

dce072e30e0ee3ab0aae10b27706dd21_zps90gz

d4be90ac559176636d5f9578df2f5f01_zpsc0w0

• Like 10