Barn Find - Yes, a true Barn Find! 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab

qwik510

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How have I missed this so long? Need to read more than I do. Wow ... just wow. This is a time capsule.

812ffca5a419fc3034934db2726b2560_zpsa30a

Heck, just detail it and put it in some concours car shows. 

That's the first time I have seen that 5 speed emblem on a truck. 

The DELUX emblem was only used half way through the '76 model year (February '76 actually, on the new King Cab when it came out) and on the  '77 KC trucks, then discontinued.

D89690D8-CA85-47EA-A6A2-F86AE14F6ADA_zps

The 5 SPEED emblem (not the decal) is more difficult to pin down. I agree and have never seen it on the fender, it actually looks too crowded there anyway. It, a single one, is supposed to be at the rear of the truck probably where the decal is now on the lower right corner of the tailgate. The emblem was available only for the '77 model year in the US and only from '78 on in Canada. 

My info shows the KING CAB decal below the opera windows as slightly smaller than the one at the rear, and only available for the '78 and on trucks. The rear KING CAB above the 5 SPEED decal as available only from '78 on 5 spd. KCs . These two decals also come separately. Non KC trucks with 5 speeds would have had the 5 SPEED decal, and non 5 speed KC trucks would simply have KING CAB on the tail gates.

I would be curious to know if Bill may have bought these decals and the 5 speed emblems a year or so later and added them.

• Like 3

How have I missed this so long? Need to read more than I do. Wow ... just wow. This is a time capsule.

812ffca5a419fc3034934db2726b2560_zpsa30a

Heck, just detail it and put it in some concours car shows. 

That's the first time I have seen that 5 speed emblem on a truck. 

The DELUX emblem was only used half way through the '76 model year (February '76 actually, on the new King Cab when it came out) and on the  '77 KC trucks, then discontinued.

D89690D8-CA85-47EA-A6A2-F86AE14F6ADA_zps

The 5 SPEED emblem (not the decal) is more difficult to pin down. I agree and have never seen it on the fender, it actually looks too crowded there anyway. It, a single one, is supposed to be at the rear of the truck probably where the decal is now on the lower right corner of the tailgate. The emblem was available only for the '77 model year in the US and only from '78 on in Canada. 

My info shows the KING CAB decal below the opera windows as slightly smaller than the one at the rear, and only available for the '78 and on trucks. The rear KING CAB above the 5 SPEED decal as available only from '78 on 5 spd. KCs . These two decals also come separately. Non KC trucks with 5 speeds would have had the 5 SPEED decal, and non 5 speed KC trucks would simply have KING CAB on the tail gates.

I would be curious to know if Bill may have bought these decals and the 5 speed emblems a year or so later and added them.

Mike,

The 5 speed and the deluxe emblems on the fenders made me curious too. I didn't recall seeing them in the past. But I did some searching on the web and found another 77 KC that also has them in the same location. The owner said he bought the truck from the original owners wife after the guy had passed.

Here's the pics and the link

1026091703-00.jpg

0816091206-03.jpg

http://forums.nicoclub.com/hi-guys-heres-my-77-king-cab-t465999.html

• Like 4

I worked on the truck a bit today. In preparation for starting the engine, I pulled the spark plugs and squirted some oil into the cylinders. I then changed the oil and installed a new oil  filter. I pulled the valve cover and lubed the cam, timing chain, etc. I drained the radiator. The coolant that came out looked like new. I also drained the gas tank. It had less then 1/2 gallon in there and it was coming out clean with no particles in the gas and no rust that I could see. 

After letting the oil soak into the cylinders for a while, I put a 27mm socket on the crank bolt and slowly turned it a bit. It was free. Little to no resistance. Sweet. 

I sanded the points a bit and I replaced the fuel filter. The truck has an electric fuel pump located back near the tank on the passenger side.A stock type fuel filter is also mounted back there.  I guess that the trucks with A/C had to have an electric pump since the A/C compressor is in the way of where the stock mechanical one would mount. Speaking of in the way, the number one spark plug is much tougher to get to with A/C. Luckily, Bill gave me a special wrench that makes it much easier.

I need to go and buy a battery and some coolant and fresh gas tomorrow. Then clear the gas lines and try to start it. 

Here are pics of under the valve cover. Looks almost new.

ED8E1B7C-6522-4DE5-9C9E-71F56D3B3D63_zps

CC537E37-967C-4738-AF9D-40FF541DF17D_zps

• Like 2

0816091206-03.jpg

I love it!!! This is great news! I knew nothing about this till now. Thank-you.

BTW those look like Mitsubishi Delica rims. We get a lot of those imported up here. The diesel 'vans' I mean.

The AC is another thing. My Nissan info shows only the '79 having the electric pump and the York compressor. 

Might need to buy this if that tailgate is creased from the bumper...?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/4660154536.html

00K0K_gUW1hEK2Jzo_600x450.jpg

Looks like my old taiilgate I bought in Victoria years ago. Sold it, or traded it at Canby. The lady who had it, found it in the attic. He father had a new '77 (ish) and a year later put a camper on it and had to remove the tailgate. He stored it, forgot it, sold the truck a few years later and is sat for 30+ years or so and I had it 5 years ago sold it two years back. Could be the same one. I'll post pics later.

The AC is another thing. My Nissan info shows only the '79 having the electric pump and the York compressor. 

The electric fuel pump was used starting in '75, as the smog pump made it impossible to mount the A/C pump on the driver's side where it had been as a dealer add-on before that.

My green 78 had A/C and has an electric fuel pump in the back by the tank.

• Like 1

The electric fuel pump was first used in '75 on the 620 due to the establishment of the factory-equipped A/C model. The A/C was now installed at the factory before shipment of the vehicle. This was done in order to eliminate the possibility of any deterioration in engine emission control performance due to an incorrect mounting of the A/C in the field. The electric fuel pump was also used on the cab & chassis model in '78.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

David,

Thank you for the kind words regarding my truck and your stay in Maine.

1)To set the story straight regarding the price. Yes, I posted a classified ad for the truck but never put a price in the ad. I check the web site the following day and saw the $10k price and thought someone was playing a joke on me. I tried contacting an administrator but never got to anyone who could correct the ad. The original post was "Best Offer". Someone did respond and said that this was not ebay and please list a price. 

2) Regarding the decals and emblems. Trust me, I was the ONLY person who touched this truck at the dealership both inside and out. Yes, I added some options, undercoated the body and did the original PDI. The decals and emblems were there day one. Back, front and sides.

3) The spark plug wrench was a shortcut picked up by some of the mechanics at the dealership. It is actually a Saab V-4 spark plug wrench.

4) Regarding that "Hugh rear bumper". In Maine at the time the majority of trucks that went out the door had both a "Step-n-Tow bumper" and "West Coast Mirrors". It was almost automatic to put these on.

5) The snaps you see on the inside of the rear cab wall was for a boot when I carried a small slide in camper for one season. The rear window came out and the kids could crawl back and forth between cab and camper long before the enforcement of child seats.

Glad to answer any other questions but I don't check this page everyday. I'm pretty sure David can assure you the story is true. 

• Like 4

David,

Thank you for the kind words regarding my truck and your stay in Maine.

1)To set the story straight regarding the price. Yes, I posted a classified ad for the truck but never put a price in the ad. I check the web site the following day and saw the $10k price and thought someone was playing a joke on me. I tried contacting an administrator but never got to anyone who could correct the ad. The original post was "Best Offer". Someone did respond and said that this was not ebay and please list a price.

2) Regarding the decals and emblems. Trust me, I was the ONLY person who touched this truck at the dealership both inside and out. Yes, I added some options, undercoated the body and did the original PDI. The decals and emblems were there day one. Back, front and sides.

3) The spark plug wrench was a shortcut picked up by some of the mechanics at the dealership. It is actually a Saab V-4 spark plug wrench.

4) Regarding that "Hugh rear bumper". In Maine at the time the majority of trucks that went out the door had both a "Step-n-Tow bumper" and "West Coast Mirrors". It was almost automatic to put these on.

5) The snaps you see on the inside of the rear cab wall was for a boot when I carried a small slide in camper for one season. The rear window came out and the kids could crawl back and forth between cab and camper long before the enforcement of child seats.

Glad to answer any other questions but I don't check this page everyday. I'm pretty sure David can assure you the story is true.

Bill, Thanks for the info. It helps to document the history of the truck.

I am so stoked to actually have this truck. It is a gem

Its been a couple of busy weeks and I have not had much time to work on the truck. I got some coolant and a fresh battery and installed it. Most of the electrical stuff seems to be working. All of the running lights, tail lights, radio, wipers, heater and A/C fans, etc. The only things not working properly are the horn and the headlights. I am thinking that the relays need some attention. 

I cleaned out a few mice nests under the hood and did find a bit of rust under the battery area. Seems the rodent urine along with their nesting materials sitting in there for years did cause a small (1/2") rust hole in one corner. There was also one small wiring harness that had been chewed. Luckily this was just the A/C harness from the compressor to the under dash evaporator and will be easy to repair. I didn't find any other wire damage. 

I tried to get her started last week but found I was not getting any spark. Hard to diagnose by myself so this past Saturday, my buddy (and Master Mechanic) Vince came by to help me out. We spent and hour or so checking everything, replacing the coil, and finally determined that the condenser was bad. After replacing it, we got her to fire up. The motor runs strong. It is quiet and smooth and I am sure it will run really great once I replace the points and the original spark plug wires and set the timing, etc. 

Here is a video of the start up. You can hear a bit of ticking but it quieted up after a short time. some of the ticking was coming from the smog pump. When I covered the open hose from the pump to the air cleaner, the noise went away. The exhaust has a leak too. But that will just get added to the to do list. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hAdk4mYjg

Next up, clear the brake and clutch lines, get them working again and take a test drive.  :thumbup:  Hopefully later this week.

• Like 4

make sure you installed the year coil for this rig. a point coil.

No spark take about 30 seconds to figure out. On points its usually grounded out..

I never seen a coil go bad unless it was made to go bad.(soembody removed the ballast resisitor)

The original coil is working fine. We tried to replace it with one from a 510 since we were not getting spark with the OG coil. Once we replaced the condenser, we hooked the OG coil back up. 

I want to try to keep as much original as possible. 

I hate to replace the spark plug wires. They are the OG wires and are date coded. Any OEM sets still available anywhere?